The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

3 posters

Burbage Rocks - Possible Cup Marks

andy_h

Burbage Rocks - Possible Cup Marks Empty Burbage Rocks - Possible Cup Marks

Post  andy_h Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:24 am

Now, I'm well aware that this area is well known as being used for military training during WW2. The area is littered with bullet holes and mortar scars, left behind by training assaults.

However, these marks have a very different look and feel to the obvious bullet holes. Much softer and more weathered out.

I know that anything resembling rock art in this area will be dismissed as the remains of either military activity or quarrying - but maybe, just maybe!

If anyone would like to go and check these out for themselves, from the Fox House pub, follow the track onto the moor. After a little while, the path turns uphill and you see a large, unfinished trough. Continue past this and you will find a few clusters of rocks before you reach the first of the quarries. This rock is amongst them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyhemingway/7051028417/
    Paulus
    Paulus

Burbage Rocks - Possible Cup Marks Empty Re: Burbage Rocks - Possible Cup Marks

Post  Paulus Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:53 pm

andy_h wrote:Now, I'm well aware that this area is well known as being used for military training during WW2. The area is littered with bullet holes and mortar scars, left behind by training assaults.

However, these marks have a very different look and feel to the obvious bullet holes. Much softer and more weathered out.

I know that anything resembling rock art in this area will be dismissed as the remains of either military activity or quarrying - but maybe, just maybe!

If anyone would like to go and check these out for themselves, from the Fox House pub, follow the track onto the moor. After a little while, the path turns uphill and you see a large, unfinished trough. Continue past this and you will find a few clusters of rocks before you reach the first of the quarries. This rock is amongst them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyhemingway/7051028417/

Hmmmmm.....I get wot y' mean... They do have that look of authenticity about them... Have y' got a decent grid-ref for them Andy?

Cheers - Paul
    andy_h

Post  andy_h Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi Paul,

Yep - grid ref is...

SK 26487 80869

I've seen lots of bullet holes in this area and they have a very different appearance to these. Also, the distribution seems to be different. These look to be far more regularly spaced than the clusters from rifle fire, or sprays from automatic fire.
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Andy -

Soz about not getting back in touch sooner. Any chance you could write a brief (or however long) profile of the site, with all your thoughts on its potential? I'll stick it on TNA (though forgive any delay, as I'm away in the mountains for a month tomorrow). Do you have any other photos of 'em?

Cheers - Paul
    andy_h

Post  andy_h Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:15 am

Sure Paul. As you're going to be away for a while, I'll take my time and possibly revisit. I only have the one pic, as I was rushing around, trying to shoot as many frames as poss while the light was good. A revisit would remedy that. I'd also quite like Bill Bevan to take a look, as there can't be many that know the archaeology of Burbage Valley better than him.
    megadread

Post  megadread Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Andy, ahve you had a read through the pdf Cairns to craters report that covers the Burbage area. ?
    It's been well surveyed and from memory there's only one possible piece of rock art that Bill reported.
    i have the document but it's rather lengthy and as it's late i can't be arsed to scour through it at the minute.

Linky here if you don't already have it.

Geoff.
    andy_h

Post  andy_h Tue May 22, 2012 12:53 am

megadread wrote:Andy, ahve you had a read through the pdf Cairns to craters report that covers the Burbage area. ?
    It's been well surveyed and from memory there's only one possible piece of rock art that Bill reported.
    i have the document but it's rather lengthy and as it's late i can't be arsed to scour through it at the minute.

Linky here if you don't already have it.

Geoff.

Cheers Geoff. Hope that all is well with you. Sorry for the slow reply. No, I haven't seen that. I'll download it and have a look.

Cheers for that feller.

EDIT - Just signed up and tried to download the link, but it says that it can't be found. I'd love to see Bill's report, so when you get the opportunity, would you mind emailing it to me please... flash(at)ahgphotography.co.uk
    megadread

Post  megadread Tue May 22, 2012 7:16 am

Just sent it you Andy, enjoy. study

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 am