The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

Rye Loaf Hill cairn, Settle - query

Paulus
    Paulus

Rye Loaf Hill cairn, Settle - query Empty Rye Loaf Hill cairn, Settle - query

Post  Paulus on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:34 am

Just a query to ask if anyone can throw any light on the large overgrown cairn, on top of Rye Loaf Hill (at grid-ref SD 864 633 ), east of Settle, in the Yorkshire Dales? We went up there a few days ago in dense fog (then slept rough on its south-side, like idiots!), and at the top is the large 'cairn', as marked on the OS-map, about 10 yards across. Does anyone know anything about the age of this cairn? I ask, as it had all the hallmarks of others in the Pennines, such as the Apronful of Stones , the Devil's Apronful and other prehistoric cairns. Added to this is the fact that the site used to be known, according to Harry Speight, as 'Inglehowe' - and the place-name suffix howe has a tendency to be a 'tomb'. Someone has dug into the middle of the cairn at sometime in the past, but I know of no official archaeological dig here. I've emailed the Skipton archaeologist Robert White to ask if he knows owt. Anyone here have any ideas?

Rye Loaf Hill cairn, Settle - query Rye_lo10

There's a large modern cairn of stones on the southern edge of the older cairn, some of which seems to have been nicked from the older buried cairn, and used as a windbreak. But it's the older, overgrown thing I'm interested in. Just how old is it?

Current date/time is Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:20 pm