The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

High Law cairn, Mereclough - query

Paulus
    Paulus

High Law cairn, Mereclough - query Empty High Law cairn, Mereclough - query

Post  Paulus Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm hoping some of you Lancashire folk can help with this one. I picked up a copy of Partington's Danes in Lancs & Yorks book t'other day and read summat I've not come across before, about some prehistoric cairn atop of, or adajcent to, Round Hill - the site of a prehistoric enclosure between Mereclough & Hurstwood. He said:

"On Round Hill, down to one hundred years ago, stood a cairn on High Law. When the stones were made use of to mend the roads, a skeleton was found underneath."

Does anyone have anymore info about this?

Cheers - Paul

High Law cairn, Mereclough - query Empty Re: High Law cairn, Mereclough - query

Post  Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:09 am

It was the lancashire hide and seek champion! Not a bright lot from Lancashire.

affraid

MM
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

High Law cairn, Mereclough - query Empty High Law cairn, Mereclough - query.

Post  Sunbright57 Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:09 am

Eh up, there's lots of stuff worth looking at over that way, got a bit forgotten me thinks. John and t'others know about these sites. Sounds interesting though. Us Lancashire bods need be careful when approaching Yorkshire border. I have already sent a fully armoured helicopter gunship over to Oakworth !!! affraid
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:26 pm

Ha ha that made me laugh, but sounds dreadful now. Helicopter gun ship has returned to base!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:59 am