The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

+2
Paulus
PeteG
6 posters

Ilkley study

PeteG
    PeteG

Ilkley study Empty Ilkley study

Post  PeteG Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:35 am

Ilkley study Empty ILKLEY MOOR RECORD

Post  Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:55 pm

This is a very positive step in the right direction. Paul and his band of wandering human curiosities could serve this project well.

Well spotted!
    PeteG
    PeteG

Ilkley study Empty Re: Ilkley study

Post  PeteG Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:00 pm

I think a bit of funding for Paul and the crew would be well spent!

Ilkley study Empty Funding/Training

Post  Guest Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:56 am

SOUTH PENNINES WATERSHED LANDSCAPE PROJECT

CONTACT; Gavin Edwards, Comminity Archaeologist, Ilkley Manor House Museum

Free training workshops are available along with some funding

Those interested shold contact Gavin
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:51 am

Ey up Pete!

It does sound interesting! I'll call round & have a chat with Mr Edwards and see what he's got to say about it. About time some funding came this way, i.e. North! Very Happy Let's just hope the cash goes into the right places. We've recently found another extensive settlement arena (not recorded), plus some large cairns (not recorded) on these moors. There are also some very curious medieval remains up here (not recorded) which I've always wanted to know more about. If we could work as a team, it'd be good! Let's see how it unfolds in the coming months. Fingers crossed! Wink

ttfn - Paul
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 am

PeteG wrote:I think a bit of funding for Paul and the crew would be well spent!

It aint gonna happen though Pete. They're after using volunteers to do the work, enabling others to do most of the donkey-work so to speak, with a small handful gerrin paid for other people's work. I know they'll be nicking material from TNA though - but whether they'll give credit about where they get the info from or not..... - usually committee-led groups like that don't tend to do so (but I hope I'm wrong).

I think we're gonna set up our own website, The Rombald's Moor Project, which a small group of us will create from our own very limited finances. So I'd expect their massively-funded bunch of people to do summat that truly exceeds our limited abilities. They say they've no extra cash to pay anyone any further, so I'm expecting a superb series of texts and a truly excellent website in the near future based on the cash they've received. With the money at their disposal, they've no excuses for anything but a truly superb website. Let's see what emerges in the coming months.

Last edited by Paulus on Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 am

'The Rombald's Moor Project' - a worthy idea

If we produce that book I suggested to you early in the year Paul - you will gain all the monies/resources you need

Worth consideration I would think - think about it - offer always open

john
    tricia

Ilkley study Empty Logging stones Ilkley Moor project

Post  tricia Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:14 pm

I volunteered for this project early 2011
    I contacted Ilkley Moor friends who friendlily suggested I contact someone called Gavin which I did. I didn't get a phone reply after leaving a message, but undaunted I sent a message via email to Gavin, just to let him know I was still interested, asking if I could volunteer. Gavin was on hols it seemed and apologised for not replying to my phone message, he said he would email when he got back from his holidays.....that was May 31

Still no message from Gavin

I didn't know people working for the council got such long holidays?
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Have a word with Paulus, Tricia. I know how you feel its annoying when these folk don't seem interested. It has happened to me as well.Smile
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi Tricia!

Good to sithee on here at last! Cool

tricia wrote:I volunteered for this project early 2011
    I contacted Ilkley Moor friends who friendlily suggested I contact someone called Gavin which I did. I didn't get a phone reply after leaving a message, but undaunted I sent a message via email to Gavin, just to let him know I was still interested, asking if I could volunteer. Gavin was on hols it seemed and apologised for not replying to my phone message, he said he would email when he got back from his holidays.....that was May 31

Still no message from Gavin

I didn't know people working for the council got such long holidays?

Mr Edwards again ey? So he was "on holiday" this time, instead of "on secondment" (his excuse to me), ignoring people he doesn't deem worthy. The guy's getting a track record for this sorta thing. I've been after going through a load of unpublished archaeological material in the Ilkley Museum, but he can't be arsed replying about that, nor helping out in anyway. There are some volunteers that he'll "use" for his own ends, but won't volunteer his help for anyone else though... Very poor... bad
    tricia

Post  tricia Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:24 am

Sunbright57 wrote:Have a word with Paulus, Tricia. I know how you feel its annoying when these folk don't seem interested. It has happened to me as well.Smile

Yes I feel very rejected and offended and will prob not volunteer ever again...so much for the ''Big soc' scratch ''
    mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:43 am

tricia wrote:
    Sunbright57 wrote:Have a word with Paulus, Tricia. I know how you feel its annoying when these folk don't seem interested. It has happened to me as well.Smile

Yes I feel very rejected and offended and will prob not volunteer ever again...so much for the ''Big soc' scratch ''

Awww!!! Please don't feel like that Tricia. You are more than welcome to venture the moors with the TNA mob. I wouldn't want to be part of something that was just for the 'elite' anyway. Here at the TNA we are the small 'Big Society'.
    If at any time you are venturing over towards the Keighley area, you are more than welcome to pop-in for a cuppa with Me & Paulus Very Happy

Mikki xx
    tricia

Post  tricia Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:00 am

mikki wrote:
    tricia wrote:

Awww!!! Please don't feel like that Tricia. You are more than welcome to venture the moors with the TNA mob. I wouldn't want to be part of something that was just for the 'elite' anyway. Here at the TNA we are the small 'Big Society'.
    If at any time you are venturing over towards the Keighley area, you are more than welcome to pop-in for a cuppa with Me & Paulus Very Happy

Mikki xx

Thanks Mikki, that's really kind, I am small anyway so maybe the universe was trying to tell me summerfing cheers
    Tricia xx
    Must add that meeting up with you and the TNA lot at Agra was the best day I've had in a long time......I loved getting lost on top of those moors till you all turned up and pointed me in the right direction......loved it loved it loved it............
    mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:42 am

Yes I feel very rejected and offended and will prob not volunteer ever again...

...But don't forget that you're now aware of other monuments on them moors that the elite club aren't. I bet they will be kicking themselves when they find out, so you can have the last laugh.

Mikki xx

mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:25 pm

I am small anyway so maybe the universe was trying to tell me summerfing.....

Ermmm... Now I'm offended! how dare you be offended by height? lol! Being a short-arse miself, I find that it helps in locating things at ground level easier as mi eyes are closer to it.

tricia wrote:Must add that meeting up with you and the TNA lot at Agra was the best day I've had in a long time......I loved getting lost on top of those moors till you all turned up and pointed me in the right direction......loved it loved it loved it............

It was a good day. I think everyone enjoyed it and there's many more to come.

Mikki x

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:43 am