The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

PENDLE CROSS - CUP MARKING + other man-made markings

PENDLE CROSS - CUP MARKING + other man-made markings Empty PENDLE CROSS - CUP MARKING + other man-made markings

Post  Guest Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:10 pm

My picture shows me looking at the socket stone of the ancient Pendle Cross near the Nick of Pendle SD 769 384.

Today I was up on Pendle once again, & when I came to he cross noticed a good CUP MARK on the south side. I also noticed other man-made markings upon the stone.

Take a look when you next get up there.

(cup mark just below my right hand in picture)

Regards

john
    Paulus
    Paulus

PENDLE CROSS - CUP MARKING + other man-made markings Empty Re: PENDLE CROSS - CUP MARKING + other man-made markings

Post  Paulus Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:52 pm

lowergate wrote:My picture shows me looking at the socket stone of the ancient Pendle Cross near the Nick of Pendle SD 769 384.

Today I was up on Pendle once again, & when I came to he cross noticed a good CUP MARK on the south side. I also noticed other man-made markings upon the stone.

Take a look when you next get up there.

(cup mark just below my right hand in picture)

OK John - we'll see y' next Thursday if that's OK. I think the ErraticOne's gonna be calling at your place & we can take it from there.

Cheers - Paul
    Paulus
    Paulus

PENDLE CROSS - CUP MARKING + other man-made markings Empty Re: PENDLE CROSS - CUP MARKING + other man-made markings

Post  Paulus Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:54 pm

...and is the standing stone of nearby Wymondhouses authentic? Any idea? The folklore makes it sound worthwhile. Izzit worth looking at?

Post  Guest Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:02 am

Jessica Lofthouse (the Three Rivers, 1948)

in the fields below Wymondhouses

This stone is still in place - the stone has weathering marks which was in legend linked to the finger and thumb prints of the Giant Ysbaddaden - said to be one of the stone spears he cast at those wanting the hand of Olwen.
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:39 am

lowergate wrote:Jessica Lofthouse (the Three Rivers, 1948)

in the fields below Wymondhouses

This stone is still in place - the stone has weathering marks which was in legend linked to the finger and thumb prints of the Giant Ysbaddaden - said to be one of the stone spears he cast at those wanting the hand of Olwen.

That's the one John! I'd read about in Lofthouse & some other folklorist from the region and thought the site needed looking at. The folklore of marks on the rocks made me wonder about cup&rings, as found at some sites where such lore is known. Can we visit there this Thursday then? RU gonna be available?

Cheers - Paul

Post  Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:05 am

Hi Paul,

yep. Thursday's OK - all the sites are located in mile radius

PENDLE CROSS - CUP MARKING + other man-made markings Empty PENDLE

Post  Guest Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi Paul

Are we on tomorrow?

I shall be in Clitheroe c.1pm.

RSVP

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:44 am