The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

3 posters

LILLA CROSS OR LILLA'S CROSS on Fylingdales Moor, N.Yorks.

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

LILLA CROSS OR LILLA'S CROSS on Fylingdales Moor, N.Yorks. Empty LILLA CROSS OR LILLA'S CROSS on Fylingdales Moor, N.Yorks.

Post  Sunbright57 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:36 am

Os grid reference SE.889 987. Lilla Cross is situated on Fylingdales Moor, north Yorkshire, between Pickering and Whitby at the junction of two major moorland footpaths. It is located close to the Fylingdales Ballistic Missile Early Warning Station - which resemble giant golf balls on the horizon.

The ancient cross is 10 foot high and free-standing but it sits upon what is probably a ruined Bronze-Age bowl barrow called Lilla Howe; the recumbant stones that lie around the base of the cross may form part of that. It is a sturdy, stocky cross that has some letters carved onto it, one in particular being a large letter "C" possibly meaning Christos (Christ) and with that a small thin cross; there are a few other faint letters but these are difficult to decipher now. A plaque on a nearby stone gives information about the cross. I think Lilla Cross was used as a sort of Medieval milestone or way-marker - hence the lettering on the cross.

According to the legend, in AD 625 or 626 King Edwin of Northumbria was travelling with his entourage across the moors, but an assassin had been dispatched by the king of the west Saxons to kill Edwin. The assassin lunged forward with his poison tipped sword, but Lilla his chief minister at the king's court, leapt in between his soverigne and the swordsman. Poor Lilla took the full thrust of the sword and died on the spot thus saving the king from being murdered. King Edwin, who was greatly impressed by this selfless act of devotion, ordered that Lilla being a newly converted -xtian be buried here in a -xtian way though he asked that a number of articles be placed with the body including gold and silver. The king then had a cross erected in memory at the spot where Lilla died. But it seems likely that the cross dates from the 10th century, though there may have been an earlier Saxon cross here.

In 1952 the cross was moved to Sil Howe near Goatland but 10 years later in 1962 it was returned to its original site on top of Lilla Howe. In the 1920s excavations on the barrow revealed some artefacts of jewellery, but no remains of Edwin's trusty chief minister were found; the jewellery was, in fact, said to date from the mid 9th century. Lilla Cross has been referred to by historians as the oldest -xtian cross on the north York Moors.

References:-
    Ogilvie, Elizabeth & Sleightholme, Audrey - An Illustrated Guide to the Crosses on the North Yorkshire Moors, Village Green Press: Thorganby 1994.
    Woodwork, T.H., - The Crosses on the North York Moors, Whitby Literary & Philosophical Society 1934.
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

LILLA CROSS OR LILLA'S CROSS on Fylingdales Moor, N.Yorks. Empty Lilla Cross or Lilla's Cross

Post  Sunbright57 Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Can I ask a question please. Why won't this website accept the word "xtian" whereas it puts "xtian" instead. I cannot understands this because all other websites will accept the word ?!
    study
    Paulus
    Paulus

LILLA CROSS OR LILLA'S CROSS on Fylingdales Moor, N.Yorks. Empty Re: LILLA CROSS OR LILLA'S CROSS on Fylingdales Moor, N.Yorks.

Post  Paulus Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:40 am

Hi Ray!

Sunbright57 wrote:Can I ask a question please. Why won't this website accept the word "xtian" whereas it puts "xtian" instead. I cannot understands this because all other websites will accept the word ?!

I completey forgot about that! When we were first setting the site up, there's an option in the Admin section which allows for regulation of words, banning of expletives, etc, allowing you to add your own. So we tried 'xtian' to replace the more commonly used chr*stian - just to see if it worked. And I see it still does! We forgot about it - hence the reason it still operates. I can have it changed if you like? We added words like America aswell, as we know that many people are offended by their politics - and more because of the political administration there which causes so much death and war in the world. P'raps we should stick 'america' back on the list of expletives! Wot d' y' reckon?

Cheers - Paul Wink
    Paulus
    Paulus

LILLA CROSS OR LILLA'S CROSS on Fylingdales Moor, N.Yorks. Empty Re: LILLA CROSS OR LILLA'S CROSS on Fylingdales Moor, N.Yorks.

Post  Paulus Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:57 am

The Lilla Cross site profile is now on The Northern Antiquarian, here:

http://megalithix.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/lilla-cross/

Keep 'em coming Ray!
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

LILLA CROSS OR LILLA'S CROSS on Fylingdales Moor, N.Yorks. Empty Lilla Cross or Lilla's Cross

Post  Sunbright57 Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:21 am

Yes Paul, please would you mind changing it to accept the word "xtian" and similar. It's up to you about "America" I am not bothered either way. Does it accept "LIbya" as well. Terrible things going on there. Thanks Paul for putting Lilla Cross on the front page. I will keep putting stuff on the site - so much to do, so little time. I am on a local website called 'Oneguyfrombarlic' have you heard of that ? Cheers. Ray. study
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 am

Hello Ray! Smile

Sunbright57 wrote:Yes Paul, please would you mind changing it to accept the word "xtian" and similar.

It has been done. Hope that's OK!

Regards - Ed.
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks Admin, much obliged, I will try it out next time I put a new topic on. Cheers.
    Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:30 am