The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

5 posters

Lowergate has died.

deadagaindave
    deadagaindave

Lowergate has died. Empty Lowergate has died.

Post  deadagaindave Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:40 am

Lowergate, John Dixon of Blackburn and Clitheroe, passed away suddenly last night.
    John was a devoted antiquarian of renown. His numerous publications, including the ‘Journey Through Brigantia’ had many admirers, among whom was Her Majesty The Queen. As his contributions to this site evince, those of us who cherish the ancient places, are poorer for his demise.
    To call John a ‘character’ would be a flimsy understatement. At least 50% of the laughter I have known in my life can be attributed to his hilarious words and actions.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Lowergate has died. Empty Re: Lowergate has died.

Post  Admin Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:33 am

Truly truly bad news. John was one hellova character, with a huge knowledge of the local history and archaeology in and around east Lancashire. None of the official archaeo's even came close to his knowledge-base. I was sincerely hoping for a few more sessions on the hills with the fella once I'd got things sorted. He'll be missed. To those who didn't know him, at least we have a mass of texts that he wrote, covering the upland regions of northern England. (if you haven't read them, get them)

May your journey to the Ancestral Lands be a good one, John...

It's pouring with rain out here...

xxx
    shiny

Post  shiny Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 am

...Sad News indeed...
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:54 am

I'm so sad to hear this. This has knocked me for six. John was a truly great friend to me.
    tracyreed

Lowergate has died. Empty RIP John

Post  tracyreed Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Only met you the once, but you were certainly one of life's characters.
    deadagaindave
    deadagaindave

Post  deadagaindave Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:36 am

Lowergate, (John Dixon) will be laid at rest in his home, 21 Lowergate Clitheroe; surrounded by mementoes of his achievements, from 5.00 PM on Monday the first of October, until the funeral on Wednesday the 3rd of October. Anyone who wishes to call and pay their respects will be welcome. It will be ‘open house’ but if you wish to ring before calling, round the number is 01200 443129.

John’s Funeral cortege will leave his home at 1.00 PM on Wednesday for the church service at Pleasington Priory, near Blackburn, at 2.00 PM. This will be followed by a service at nearby Pleasington Crematorium at approximately 2.40 PM. Immediately following the cremation service, a wake will be held at a venue shortly to be announced.

All are welcome to attend any part of the proceedings. Donations rather than floral tributes, can be made to Bipolar UK, Preston Branch, through Alty’s Funeral Service Blackburn, (01254 503240) from where further details may also be obtained.
    deadagaindave
    deadagaindave

Post  deadagaindave Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 am

Lowergate, John Dixon's wake/funeral reception, will be held at Cherry tree Cricket Club. 459 Preston Old Road Blackburn, between 4 and 7 PM on the 3rd October after the funeral. Many who walked with and knew John are resolved to attend , all will be welcome.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am