The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

5 posters

FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne

Paulus
    Paulus

FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne Empty FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne

Post  Paulus Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:50 am

Although I thought of John D., I wonder, does anyone know anything about the possible whereabouts of the prehistoric cairn which appears to have given Burwains Lake, between Foulridge and Colne? I assume it's under the reservoir now? And did the adjacent Hobstones have owt to do with the place?

Here's hoping - Paul

FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne Empty Re: FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:47 am

The place-name 'Burwain' refers to the site of a pre-xtian burial site/sacred grove. An early 17th century house nearby is called 'Hobstones' and the reservoir stands below Noyna Hill (Noon Hill).

All these sites may be related - I will dig out my old notes from the '80's Paul & get back to you.

The sites all stand on the border of the ancient Cravenshire with the ancient Blackburnshire - a form of territorial land organization that goes back to the 6th century AD - the Celtic period - and may have its roots in the pre-Roman period.

Best regrds

john
    Paulus
    Paulus

FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne Empty Re: FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne

Post  Paulus Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:16 am

Thanks for that John! Did you have a good time down Cornwall? Smile

Lord Hazell arrives shortly for another wandering. We're only gonna be able to get one more in before moving up north. It'd be good to get out again before the northern hills take me...

Post  Guest Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Still here on the Lizard - great sites, great cider (£3.40/2 pint jug), wonderfullllll folks down here - back when sober - regards, see you all soon ........
    Viking Orm

Post  Viking Orm Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:52 am

Hi...Could it be at all possible that the hill that peaks at the top of Red Lane Colne, that overlooks Holt House on one side, then Burwains reservoir on the other be in any way related to the supposed `Burwain`. A long shot I know but going on the lack of evidence circulating of its whereabouts, then maybe this prominent hill could have a part to play.
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:09 pm

I have also thought that there was an ancient burial ground in proximity to Lake Burwain - the name is Anglo-Saxon/Early English for 'burial ground' - burrans.
    mudslinger110
    mudslinger110

FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne Empty lake burwains

Post  mudslinger110 Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:37 pm

The farmstead of hobstones means place of the hob gobin and there are rumours that in the surround area away from the lake in the hillside.There are several mounds also on both sides of carry lane there are signs of quarrying.I have checked sites contain information on local quarries and cant find any info on who or what the quarries were used for as the stone is of poor quality at that point.ALso i have seen lake empty and can say there is no sign of a carin in the bottom.
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:33 pm

I believe the word 'Burwains' means a burial ground or ancient burial place as in Bur Wains. Hobstones Farm is haunted by the ghost of a dwarf cavalier from the Civil War. He pops up and scares people who are not expecting him. Hobgoblins are similar to little mischevious imps. The owner of the farm was sitting on the outside toilet one day when suddenly the little chap opened the door and laughed his head off at the poor unsuspecting person inside, according to one local legend from many years ago.
    mudslinger110
    mudslinger110

Post  mudslinger110 Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:44 pm

I believe the story is of a one handed monk that appeared to a farmer while he was sat on the loo on the hill across os old ebbys lake
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:42 pm

I have heard that story also. Seems there may be more than one ghost at Hobstones. I would not want to sit on the outside loo at any cost. affraid
    mudslinger110
    mudslinger110

FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne Empty burwains

Post  mudslinger110 Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 am

Me neither the whole area around the farm and that side of lake has a strange feeling. cyclops
    mudslinger110
    mudslinger110

FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne Empty burwains

Post  mudslinger110 Thu May 09, 2013 11:52 am

I have discovered from a local source that there is a burial mound between hobstones farmhouse and the hill top of red lane
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Mon May 13, 2013 3:27 pm

That sounds interesting mudslinger110. Do you have a Ordnance Survey grid reference for this.
    mudslinger110
    mudslinger110

Post  mudslinger110 Tue May 14, 2013 5:40 am

Hi sunbright sorry i dont but i will try to get some for you the local source is a old friend of my dads.I have just spoken to him and checked on maps ref is 880 413 he remembers around the wooded area against the hill
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Tue May 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi mudslinger110 don't forget you need the sheet number as well in this case SD
    FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne Hobstones_zps5434d832

cheers Danny
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Thanks I will try to check the site out when I can and when its not raining fedup
    mudslinger110
    mudslinger110

FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne Empty lowergate burwians

Post  mudslinger110 Sat May 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Sorry about that still getting use to the map ref as being using gps cords
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Wed May 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Had a look around at grid reference SD88000 41300 but not much to see, apart from some low mounds in the field. Some stones sticking out and lying on top of one, but looks like something the farmer's being doing. There is a hillock in the wooded area but this seems to be the spoil heap from some quarry workings at the side of the lane. I wish I could give you something to be excited about, but I'm not sure whether this will do that. Here's a photo. What do you think?
    FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne Mound_10
    QDanT
    QDanT

FAO Lowergate - Burwains Lake query, nr Colne Empty cheers

Post  QDanT Thu May 23, 2013 11:20 am

well done for the site visit and photo report Sunbrigh57
    don't forget the 6 fig. map ref. only pin points approx. a 100 yards square !
    and the recent quarry working history is all but gone !
    what chance 5,000 years plus pre-history

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am