The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

Another Settlement Discovered on Ilkley Moor

Paulus
    Paulus

Another Settlement Discovered on Ilkley Moor Empty Another Settlement Discovered on Ilkley Moor

Post  Paulus Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:31 pm

I should have put this up last week. We were wandering around my old home of Ilkley Moor, checking out some cup&rings, and as the day neared it close came across quite an extensive series of very old walling, some cairns and a couple more carved stones - none of which are in the record books. Sadly the images of the place aint too good as I took 'em when the daylight was beginning to fade.

Another Settlement Discovered on Ilkley Moor New_il10

This is one of several cairns within the settlement area.

Another Settlement Discovered on Ilkley Moor New_il11

And this is one section of ancient walling in the area. There's a lot more to this & we've gotta go back up in the coming weeks to give it more attention. We'll hopefully get some better and clearer photos while we're at it!

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:23 am