The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley

Paulus

New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley

Post  Paulus on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:22 pm

Well, aar Mikki's nose has been hard at work again today. We were checking over some old bitsa rock art that are in the text-books, when she came wandering over, all wet & covered in muck, with that gleam in her eye, beaming about some carvings nearby. Here's one of 'em below:

It reminded me a little of the Tree of Life Stone up Askwith-way, but on this one we find the central trunk of the tree is a natural crack that runs up the middle of the rock. Up the 'trunk' are several short branches with cup-marks on either side. Altogether there are at least 12 cups and one ring, with several curious lines, some of which seem geophysical in nature, but some are obviously man-made. She uncovered the rock beneath loads of earth (you couldn't actually see the rock initially) and it hadn't seen the light of the fresh air for a few centuries. But as you can see, the carvings covered in muck. We've covered the stone back over and are gonna return to to it in the coming weeks to clean it up and see what more we can make out.

Oooh - and another barely-visible rock less than 2 yards east was also found to have 5-6 archetypal cups on it: two on the top section and 3 at the bottom.

lowergate

Re: New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley

Post  lowergate on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:10 pm

A superb find for Paulus & Mikki.

This day the 'fates' have been with the three of us & good Fortuna she smiled.

Again, superb find. Make a drawing & maybe an interpretation will come forth.

Well done to both of you!

Best regards

john

Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Oh my my this is a good find, looks very like 'The Tree of Life' similiar in a way to the cross in Whalley churchyard (Cross no 1). Well done both of you.Very Happy

QDanT

Post  QDanT on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Paulus wrote:Well, aar Mikki's nose has been hard at work again today. We were checking over some old bitsa rock art that are in the text-books, when she came wandering over, all wet & covered in muck, with that gleam in her eye, beaming about some carvings nearby.
    Well done indeed Very Happy but I bet you don't get the Gold-foil TNA Chocolate Medal Sad
    cheers Danny aka Mr Cheesecake

lowergate

Post  lowergate on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:47 pm

nice Danny & Teddy, love it

Mikki & Paulus are true gems, treasured freinds, )along with the poet 'DeadEndDave'( bugger knows me well after 50 very odd years for such as me to state this( let us all ride on to a great and rewarding future - and thank Mikki & Paulus for putting such a *&^5*** site together for the benifit of humankink (humanknd I think I mean ... or do I ? ...) Great for TNA, great for all those buggers who follow are or our wayword wanderings .... true dervish style ....

Love you all

HOWLIN' DERVISH

john

mikki

Post  mikki on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:39 pm

I must say thanks to all!! It has been another great day.
    I have to add that while it was absolutely pissing it down with rain fedup , I found the stone under inches of earth and spent a good half hour getting covered in muck (mud-bath style) uncovering it while the midges (Yorkshire midges - truly hard buggers, still out biting in the heavy rain!) were swarming around torturing me and savaging every piece of flesh that was exposed midges . Paulus - meanwhile - was with Paul "level crossing" Hornby in Ilkley town center shopping! They were nowhere to be seen!!!

Mikki xx

lowergate

Post  lowergate on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Sound lass Mikki

j

Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:51 pm

Mikki, I just love these emotocons or whatever there called, brilliant to watch and very funny. Could do with some of them putting on TNA proper for folk to use.Rolling Eyes

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:Mikki, I just love these emotocons or whatever there called, brilliant to watch and very funny. Could do with some of them putting on TNA proper for folk to use.Rolling Eyes

We will have a look at that and see if we can enable such a thing.

mikki

Post  mikki on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:16 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:Mikki, I just love these emotocons or whatever there called, brilliant to watch and very funny. Could do with some of them putting on TNA proper for folk to use.Rolling Eyes

Ray, they are on here already!

When you type a reply into the message box, there is a box to the left which contains loads of this smilies. If you scroll down that box - you will see more like these ones - mad-bob whizzing barmybennettexpediti headagainstwall

Oh and the rude one wanking This is reserved for the elite!!!

Mikki

xx spinning

Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:30 am

Thanks Admin, would be great to be able to put them on with comments. Cheers.

Mikki, I wasn't quite sure what the rude one was doing - but I know now, oh my god !!!

Paulus

Post  Paulus on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:19 pm

We've been back up and had a look at this little fella today and, with slightly better lighting conditions, found there's more on this and another stone close by. We're going back up again in the coming week and do some rubbings of the two carvings, get better images and draw the design - and will thereafter add their profiles to TNA. Cool

QDanT

Relief

Post  QDanT on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi here's applying a "relief" filter to the photo, so if you oiled the stone and poured Plaster on it

cheers Danny

Paulus

Post  Paulus on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Wink I like it Danny! spot-on Looks a bit like those photogrammatry images they're spending a fortune on to get pretty pictures of the carvings, like this 'n:

http://megalithix.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/morphing-stone-nikon-morphing14.jpg

I hear there's some freebie photogrammetry software floating about, but I dunno how to use it. Twouldst be good to try some out. Any ideas?

Paulus

Post  Paulus on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:07 pm

I'll email you some more photos to play round with tomorrow Danny, once I've sorted those I took of the carving today. Photoshop 'em at your leisure and see if owt comes out. Wink

Current date/time is Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 am