The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

4 posters

The Buckstone or Rocking Stone, Silverdale, north Lancashire.

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

The Buckstone or Rocking Stone, Silverdale, north Lancashire. Empty The Buckstone or Rocking Stone, Silverdale, north Lancashire.

Post  Sunbright57 Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:37 pm

Os grid reference SD.521 747. The Buckstone or Rocking Stone is located on a knoll at Silverdale, near Carnforth, north Lancashire. This huge glacial boulder, standing on a rock base, has been poised in his present tenuous position since the Ice Age thousands of years ago. It is sometimes referred to as a "rocking stone" because it rocks when pushed. The name Logan stone is also given to it.

It is situated in a field and on the slope of a hill or knoll, poised in position midway down and below which the slope becomes quite steep. This well weathered boulder was probably originally part of the cliff face - having fallen from there to rest all alone in a quite tenuous position. The boulder is said to be 13 foot high with a circumference of over 33 feet and is thought to weigh 60 tons or more.

One legend regarding the rock says that a serpent used to rise out of Haweswater Lake 300 yards away and coil itself around the Buckstone; the monster was said to have devoured many local sheep from fields in the immediate area. The name Buckstone comes about because long ago it was the abode of red deer - indeed deer antlers have been excavated by archaeologists from the nearby estuary and peat mosses close by.

Journal of The British Archaeological Association, 1874.
    QDanT
    QDanT

The Buckstone or Rocking Stone, Silverdale, north Lancashire. Empty query

Post  QDanT Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:54 am

have you been Question
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

The Buckstone or Rocking Stone, Silverdale, north Lancashire. Empty Re: The Buckstone or Rocking Stone, Silverdale, north Lancashire.

Post  Sunbright57 Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 am

No Danny have not been there as I don't drive. Will have to wait till my mate can take me. Had a nice holiday then ?Smile

Also, I have very elderly parents aged 89 and 87 so its difficult going to far of places. I rely a lot of what I read about sites from local books and they very rarely give a grid reference, or if they do its often not accurate. I would dearly love to go somewhere further away. Hope you understand, its frustrating, but that's life,

Last edited by Sunbright57 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lowergate
    lowergate

The Buckstone or Rocking Stone, Silverdale, north Lancashire. Empty FIELD TRIP TO SILVERDALE

Post  lowergate Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:18 am

FIELD TRIP TO SILVERDALE

This area would make for a great TNA Field Trip in September

Here are to be found an Iron Age hill fort, large stone circle, Tumuli, Barrows and Neolithic occupation caves.

Good value camping is available at Gibraltar Farm.

What do others think ?
    Paulus
    Paulus

The Buckstone or Rocking Stone, Silverdale, north Lancashire. Empty Re: The Buckstone or Rocking Stone, Silverdale, north Lancashire.

Post  Paulus Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:45 am

lowergate wrote:FIELD TRIP TO SILVERDALE

This area would make for a great TNA Field Trip in September

Here are to be found an Iron Age hill fort, large stone circle, Tumuli, Barrows and Neolithic occupation caves. Good value camping is available at Gibraltar Farm.

What do others think ?

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere: I'm up for it John! (not so sure about staying on a campsite though - I prefer roughing-it) spot-on
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:44 am

'prefer to rough it ...'

Silverdale is covered in woodland so plenty of places to wild camp.

I wild camp just above the high tide mark on Silverdale beach itself, south of point - large grassy spot, water & out of sight of locals who are for the most part elderly or reclusive, yet friendly, piss-heads.

john

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:15 am