The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

THE PUZZLE STONE at Nether Silton, North Yorkshire.

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

THE PUZZLE STONE at Nether Silton, North Yorkshire. Empty THE PUZZLE STONE at Nether Silton, North Yorkshire.

Post  Sunbright57 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Os grid reference SE.456 922. I suppose this just scrapes in here as being a myth or legend. The puzzle stone is to be found at the back of the village church in Nether Silton 5 miles east of Northallerton and 1 mile east of the A19 - at the western edge of the Cleveland Hills, in north Yorkshire. The church is to be found along Lead Lane, so go around to the back of the church and into a field; in the middle of the field the stone stands with it's strange, puzzling inscription.

The square-shaped stone or slab is some 6 feet high and on the face is carved, in six lines, a curious inscription in capital letters - the fifth line, a line of initial letters, along with a date. It apparently marks the site of a medieval manor house which has now gone. When the building was demolished or burnt down the squire Mr Hickes decided to leave a lasting memorial here. So he had the stone erected with what is referred to as a "mnemonic" inscription.

HTGOMHS - "Here the grand manor house stood;
    TBBWOTGWWG - the black beams were oak, the great walls were good;
    TWOTEWAHH - the walls of the east wing are hidden here;
    ATCLABWHEY - a thatched cottage like a barn was here erected year
    AD1765 - Ano Domini 1765;
    AWPSAYAA - a wide porch spans a yard and alcove."

All in all a very curious thing, perhaps the only puzzle stone to be found in England, though I have no doubt that there may be others hidden away somewhere ?
    QDanT
    QDanT

THE PUZZLE STONE at Nether Silton, North Yorkshire. Empty have you been

Post  QDanT on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 pm

have you been ? if not what's you source ?
    if I go and it's still there ? and I add some photo's no doubt you'll then add some to the first post !

see:- POLE STOOP STANDING STONE or HANGING STONE Posted by Sunbright57 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 (with no photo's)

I added 11 photo's :- Pole Stoop Posted QDanT on Fri Jun 10, 2011 (that's 4 months later)

you then add photo's :- Last edited by Sunbright57 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 edited 5 times in total
    Last edited by Sunbright57 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 edited 4 times in total

and any one reading is not going to check the edits so you first post certainly looks fuller !

Current date/time is Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:58 pm