The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

Thor's Stone, Thurstaston, Wirral Peninsula

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Thor's Stone, Thurstaston, Wirral Peninsula Empty Thor's Stone, Thurstaston, Wirral Peninsula

Post  Sunbright57 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 am

Os grid reference SJ.244847. Thurstaston is about 2 miles south of West Kirby at the far north-western side of the Wirral Peninsula. On Thurstaston Common a 298 foot high hill has a large red sandstone outcrop, on the landward side, known as Thor's Stone. One large rectangular block of stone that is 50 feet in length, 30 feet wide by 25 foot high has been eroded over thousands of years. The rock is named after the Norse god Thor - he who causes thunder and lightning. Viking settlers from Thingwell apparently settled here in the 10th century AD and, according to legend, these settlers used the stone as a pagan altar with blood sacrifices taking place here. Another legend says that Thor tossed the large stone here in anger and yet another says that the stone was raised here to commemorate the battle of Brunanburh in 937 AD. The name Thurstaston probably means Thorstein's farmstead.

These legends though bear no truth whatsoever. The outcrop has been eroded away over thousands of years by the weather, post glacial erosion and even quarrying, leaving strange shapes, features and projections in the soft sandstone. There is much recent graffiti to be seen all over the rock, especially on the summit and sides including one set of graffiti carved by Professor Taylor in 1879. There used to be a fairy well near the stone but this disappeared long ago. Children took flowers to the well to decorate it, while adults visited it to receive a cure for various ailments of the body.
    Paulus
    Paulus

Thor's Stone, Thurstaston, Wirral Peninsula Empty Re: Thor's Stone, Thurstaston, Wirral Peninsula

Post  Paulus Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Nice one Ray! spot-on You wouldn't have any further info on the Fairy Well would you?
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Thor's Stone, Thurstaston, Wirral Peninsula Empty Re: Thor's Stone, Thurstaston, Wirral Peninsula

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi Paul, welcome back - been on holiday again ? No I don't have anything further on the well. Sadly, its gone now. They might be a link I could put on for Thor's Stone.
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:Hi Paul, welcome back - been on holiday again ?

'fraid not. Just been doing a few other things lately.

Sunbright57 wrote:No I don't have anything further on the well. Sadly, its gone now. They might be a link I could put on for Thor's Stone.

I'll have a trawl thru some of mi old books & see what I can find. And I'll add an amended entry of the Thor's Stone to TNA later.

ttfn - Paul
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Thor's Stone profile added here:

http://megalithix.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/thors-stone/

Please lemme know if there are additional features or owt that needs remedying!

Cheers - Paul
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks Paul, all seems ok to me. There's a Thor's Well in north Yorkshire. Will try and find some info on that. Thanks Paul and cheers.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:50 am