The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

2 for the price of 1

QDanT
    QDanT

2 for the price of 1 Empty 2 for the price of 1

Post  QDanT Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:10 am

I've not had this on my Blog so here's a first for TNA :-
    I was trying to think of somewhere that wasn't Limestone like the last few tours and somewhere I'd not been so out with the maps and this caught my eye Jenny Twigg and her daughter Tib,

2 for the price of 1 01JennyTwiggandDaughterTibmap

Consulting my weather oracle Teddy his piece of seaweed and fircone reckon'd Tuesday the best day of the week.Set off this morning 16th March, Earby-Thornton in Craven-Skipton-Embsay-Eastby-Barden-Appletreewick-Greenhow-Pateley Bridge-Wath-Ramsgill-Lofthouse then parked at the end of the track off the Masham road and followed it up onto the moor passing enough snow for a photo shoot

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg004

taking the left fork the stones come into view

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg022

going past them up onto the ridge to look back at them

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg062

and on to the top of the ridge

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg073

and on top of the above

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg076

head back towards Jenny

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg089

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg091

and from another angle

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg098

it was that windy at one point I'd to chase my hat so I dropped down to a line of Grouse butts to find a sheltered spot for dinner

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg095

after a brew it was time for steak and onion

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg108

fried in olive oil on industrial meths in the burner

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg107

served on home made bread with an Austrailian Shiraz (Hardys Bin 53)

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg110

followed the wall back passed Black gutter head

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg113

with the weather improving on the way home I turned off just before Barden onto the Hazel wood Storiths road to have a look at the Laund oak at SE 07292 56128

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg152

This spectacular tree is over 800 years old. It is thought to have been named after John of Laund who was the Prior from 1286 to 1330. In the 16th century the Laund Oak marked the point where the Forests of Barden and Knaresborough met.

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg149

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg151

The foresters on the Estate say this wonderful old tree produces some of the best acorns which grow into fine trees.

2 for the price of 1 JennyTwigg161

just thought I'd share cheers all Danny

Paulus
    Paulus

2 for the price of 1 Empty Re: 2 for the price of 1

Post  Paulus Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:54 am

WOW!!! - Some superb stuff there mate! I've still not been up to see Jenny and her mates - summat I should remedy sometime soon. And there's gotta be some prehistoric stuff nearby, hiding in the heathers.

Never heard of the aged oak before, but love those sorta things. Pity the rest of the forest isn't surrounding it for additional feel and colour. To me, we should have a much greater respect for our old trees than just the touristy groove slapped on 'em.

Any chance you could add the photo & info about that screen-saver of yours of the Norber-like boulder in the landscape, which you thought must've been sanctified in some way or other by our megalithic ancestors...? The photo and site look outstanding! spot-on
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Paulus wrote:WOW!!! - Some superb stuff there mate! I've still not been up to see Jenny and her mates - summat I should remedy sometime soon. And there's gotta be some prehistoric stuff nearby, hiding in the heathers.

Never heard of the aged oak before, but love those sorta things. Pity the rest of the forest isn't surrounding it for additional feel and colour. To me, we should have a much greater respect for our old trees than just the touristy groove slapped on 'em.

Any chance you could add the photo & info about that screen-saver of yours of the Norber-like boulder in the landscape, which you thought must've been sanctified in some way or other by our megalithic ancestors...? The photo and site look outstanding! spot-on

Hi Paulus is this the one ?

2 for the price of 1 Whernside092

another time just before sunset

2 for the price of 1 Scalesmoorashesbouldersunset

see :- https://northernantiquarian.forumotion.net/t493-a-few-erratics

cheers Danny

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:47 pm