The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

3 posters

The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire.

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire. Empty The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire.

Post  Sunbright57 Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 pm

From Bacup town centre travel along Burnley road (the A671) for 1 mile. Just before the footbridge over the Irwell on the right-hand side and a mill on the left, take a farm track heading west and follow the footpath arrows over some cattlegrids. At Dyke House Farm go straight ahead and over a stile, and then follow a rough farm track up to the ancient dyke on your left-hand side.

Os grid reference: SD.8635 2435. The Broadclough ancient dyke[s] earthworks or entrenchments can be found about 1 mile north-west of Bacup town-centre, just off the A671, above Dykes House Farm. The earthwork is thought to date from 937 AD and be associated with the famous Battle of Brunanburh which was fought on the moors to the north-east close to The Long Causeway between Burnley and Todmorden. The Dyke[s] run for between 500-600 yards roughly south to north and hug the contours of the hillside. The man-made bank (rampart) at the eastern side is roughly 6 feet high, whereas the western bank makes for a natural defensive rampart that is partly tree-covered, and is roughly 12-16 feet high. The dyke is 18-20 yards across. There is, however, a lower section of rampart in the middle that is 18 yards across - this lower section is nearly the same on the opposite higher bank and could have been a portal, ditch or something else, but what we just do not know ?

The dyke or entrenchment may have been built by a collection of various armies consisting of Danes, Northumbrians, Scots and Welsh, under Anlaf the chieftain as a defense for the northern routes over the moors against the Saxon army of King Athelstan moving up from the south, prior to the great battle itself. But why was it built here - and for what purpose ? The earthwork and its two defensive banks (ramparts) is fairly well preserved - the middle part of the dyke is the best preserved part, whereas the southern and northern ends have been slightly damaged by farming. Various other options have been put forward as to what these dykes are. The best ones being an unfinished hill-fort or burial mound - but both seem highly unlikely. The Bacup Natural History Society (N.A.T) did an archaeological dig here in 1974 and what is mentioned above is taken from their general findings at that time.

Source:-

Bacup Natural History Society (NAT) - An article in the December 1989/January 1990 issue of Pennine Magazine.

Last edited by Sunbright57 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 9 times in total
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire. Empty Re: The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire.

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Broadclough Dyke / Entrenchment or Earthworks near Dykes House Farm, Bacup, Lancashire. Looking south.

The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire. Broadc11

The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire. Broadc12

The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire. Broadc13
    The Broadclough Dyke viewed from the eastern bank (looking north).
    The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire. Broadc14

Last edited by Sunbright57 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 7 times in total
    Paulus
    Paulus

The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire. Empty Re: The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire.

Post  Paulus Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi Ray!

Sunbright57 wrote:...They are thought to date from 937 AD and be associated with the famous battle of Brunanburh which was fought on the moors to the north-east close to The Long Causeway.

Have you any further info on this idea? I thought them there professionals were gathering round the idea that it was near Liverpool at the moment - Brunanburh I mean. I know they're probably just aggregating 'emselves round some new chap in the field with good credo (as they do), but you know how the old Brunanburh ID keeps changing with the wind. Once it was Cumbria, then Northumbria, then Doncaster, possibly Bacup, or izzit Liverpool - wherever next? It would be helpful if the English Place-Name Society had published field-name surveys of the county so we could explore 'em with greater diligence. What izzit that gives the Bacup site its credentials?

Cheers - Paul Cool
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:23 pm

Don't know Paul I'm just going off what The Bacup Natural History Society (NAT) people say about the site. I have always presumed the battle took place close to the long causeway on the moors around there, and I think that's probably correct, although Bromborough on the Wirral is also considered to be the battle site due to the place name. I understand the River Brun in Burnley takes its name from the battle. Interesting site though but a fair old climb up on to the moor - nearly killed me though. I have a few more photos if you're interested in seeing them. Thanks. Ray.
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:Don't know Paul I'm just going off what The Bacup Natural History Society (NAT) people say about the site. I have always presumed the battle took place close to the long causeway on the moors around there, and I think that's probably correct, although Bromborough on the Wirral is also considered to be the battle site due to the place name. I understand the River Brun in Burnley takes its name from the battle.

Interesting stuff. Cheers!

Sunbright57 wrote:I have a few more photos if you're interested in seeing them.

By all means Ray - add some more! Brunanburh's long been of intrigue to historians and folklorists of varying persuasions, so the more potential info & images of places related to it, the better!

ttfn - Paul
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:05 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:Don't know Paul I'm just going off what The Bacup Natural History Society (NAT) people say about the site. I have always presumed the battle took place close to the long causeway on the moors around there, and I think that's probably correct, although Bromborough on the Wirral is also considered to be the battle site due to the place name. I understand the River Brun in Burnley takes its name from the battle. Interesting site though but a fair old climb up on to the moor - nearly killed me though. I have a few more photos if you're interested in seeing them. Thanks. Ray.

http://teddytourteas.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/shedden-clough-hushings.html

The Broadclough Dykes / Earthworks, Bacup, Lancashire. SD86352435
    cheers Danny
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:26 pm

All sorted out now. Have been up t'Bacup to get photos of the correct site. See above. More pics to follow. cheers

Last edited by Sunbright57 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:04 am

Photos coming up. Have found the correct place this time. My brain cells have recovered !!!
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:34 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:All sorted out now. Have been up t'Bacup to get photos of the correct site. See above. More pics to follow. cheers

What's the grid ref. ? any where near SD 8635 2435
    cheers Danny
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:21 am

Hi Danny, the os grid reference is, as you say, SD.8635 2435 that's more or less in the middle of the dyke (earthwork).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:59 am