The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

Apronful of Stones, Kirkby Lonsdale? - query

Paulus
    Paulus

Apronful of Stones, Kirkby Lonsdale? - query Empty Apronful of Stones, Kirkby Lonsdale? - query

Post  Paulus Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:32 pm

Help needed!

I've just been writing up the archaeo-info & folklore of the once giant prehistoric cairn, known variously as the Devil's Apronful, or Apronful of Stones, found up the valley north of Thornton in Lonsdale, Ingleton, near Yordas Cave...and summat doesn't add up.

There are various references to folklore about the devil dropping his stones, hence creating the cairn. Usual story. However, this site is way off where the references discuss; and the original printed story told the site in question (an Apron full of Stones) to be at Casterton Fell, several miles north of the Kingsdale cairn. There's no intervisibility between the sites which are in the folk-story either.

The archaeo-article by Alan King on the site in YAJ 50 isn't any help here, as his references are wrong. I was wondering if one of the cairns at Leck village a few miles away might be the Apronful in question - though none of these are near Casterton Fell.

I'm erring more & more to the thought that we've got another Apronful of Stones that's been lost/forgotten about near Casterton somewhere. A 'burrens' place-name a coupla miles north might be the site, but just don't know.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers - Paul

Apronful of Stones, Kirkby Lonsdale? - query Empty Original Folk Tale

Post  Guest Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi Paul,

For the original tale see:

W Self Weeks, 1917. 'Some legendary stories and folklore' TLCAS 34. pp 86-7

Charles Jopling, 1846. Archaeologia 31, pp 448-53, fig 448

Also

A long barrow in Cumbria is known as 'Sampson's Bratful' and a mound in Radmorshire carries the name 'Devil's Apronful of Stones',
    Paulus
    Paulus

Apronful of Stones, Kirkby Lonsdale? - query Empty Re: Apronful of Stones, Kirkby Lonsdale? - query

Post  Paulus Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi John -

lowergate wrote:For the original tale see:

W Self Weeks, 1917. 'Some legendary stories and folklore' TLCAS 34. pp 86-7

Charles Jopling, 1846. Archaeologia 31, pp 448-53, fig 448

The earliest reference to this tale is John Hutton's Tour to the Caves, 1781 - though I aint come across the TLCAS one. Will check it out - cheers!

lowergate wrote:A long barrow in Cumbria is known as 'Sampson's Bratful' and a mound in Radmorshire carries the name 'Devil's Apronful of Stones',

I keep meaning to do an article on this folk-name and the cairns, as there's quite a few of 'em, mainly in the northern hills. Variations on the folk-tale occur in Scotland and (if memory serves) Eire aswell. But the ame theme also occurs in Africa and India. All fascinating stuff! Cool

Paul

Apronful of Stones, Kirkby Lonsdale? - query Empty D Afull Casterton

Post  Guest Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:41 pm

I take it that you have seen Jessica L's 'North Country Folklore' pp 52/3 - she brings the Great Stone of Fourstones up on the Bowland Fells below the Cross of Greet into the tale ... good luck
    Paulus
    Paulus

Apronful of Stones, Kirkby Lonsdale? - query Empty Re: Apronful of Stones, Kirkby Lonsdale? - query

Post  Paulus Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi John!

lowergate wrote:I take it that you have seen Jessica L's 'North Country Folklore' pp 52/3 - she brings the Great Stone of Fourstones up on the Bowland Fells below the Cross of Greet into the tale ... good luck

Yeaahhh...I've read her account. I truly get the feel that there's been a mix-up and confusion with some creation myths on some sites here. Summat's just "not right", if y' get what I mean. Doesn't smell right... When I get off mi backside & trundle up & have a search round, I'm sure things'll get sorted. There's just so much to do, with so many sites. It's (thankfully) never ending! Very Happy

All the best - Paul

Apronful of Stones, Kirkby Lonsdale? - query Empty On Giants Throwing Stones

Post  Guest Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:33 pm

I have just re-read 'How Culhwch Won Olwen' & noticed that Olwen's father, the Chief Giant Ysbaddaden, was in the habit of throwing 'poisoned stone spears' at those who came to court his daughter, always keeping a ready pile of these stones at hand.

J
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:58 am

lowergate wrote:I have just re-read 'How Culhwch Won Olwen' & noticed that Olwen's father, the Chief Giant Ysbaddaden, was in the habit of throwing 'poisoned stone spears' at those who came to court his daughter, always keeping a ready pile of these stones at hand.

Intriguing stuff. I wonder if thye poisoned rocks occur in the creation myths of any sites? And I know we'll never know, but it'd be nice to find out which plants were smeared on the stones to make 'em poisonous.

atb - Paul

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:54 am