The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

3 posters

PENDLE HILL, STONE-BANKED RINGWORK (unrecorded SMR site)

lowergate
    lowergate

PENDLE HILL, STONE-BANKED RINGWORK (unrecorded SMR site) Empty PENDLE HILL, STONE-BANKED RINGWORK (unrecorded SMR site)

Post  lowergate Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:35 am

Fortune was indeed with me today, as on my return to Clitheroe in the early afternoon I decided to take a wander over the Big End of Pendle. Looking down from above Fox’s Well I noticed a circular feature in the moorland landscape below (given the heavy rain of late the moorland grasses are ‘pressed down’ making for good conditions for picking out features in the landscape, especially from high points). Low and behold, when I got down there I discovered a stone-ringed-banked circular earthwork with an entry facing east. The raised stone-reveted bank was 2m in width, and the whole circle roughly 19 paces in diameter. From my initial observation (I will be doing a full survey of the site on Sunday for inclusion on the Lancashire Sites & Monuments Record) I can state that the site is not unlike the one on Easington Fell that we examined on a recent TNA Field Trip, but smaller in size. My first thoughts are that I may have found a Iron/Bronze age living hut, and given the size this may be the case.

If, and as always with these features it is a big IF, I am proved right in my assumption, then this will be the most significant find from that early period to date in this part of Lancashire.

The banked-ringwork is located on a high point of ground above the Downhan to Barley road. I shall post the exact location on TNA on Sunday evening when I have Emailed my survey to Peter Isles at Lancs SMR, Preston.

I anyone wishes to come along on the survey with me on Sunday, feel free to do so. I will be on site at 10.30am. Contact me via TNA mail.

john
    Paulus
    Paulus

PENDLE HILL, STONE-BANKED RINGWORK (unrecorded SMR site) Empty Re: PENDLE HILL, STONE-BANKED RINGWORK (unrecorded SMR site)

Post  Paulus Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:41 pm

This sounds very interesting indeed John. We can't get over this weekend, but if one of the lads can get us over your neck of the woods in the coming week or 2, I'd love a venture to see it.

We've just been out today & got caught in the lovely rain, and gracefully Mikki discovered two previously unrecorded cup-and-ring carvings above Ilkley. (see other thread) Seems like it's been a good 24 hours for us lot!

All the best - Paul
    lowergate
    lowergate

PENDLE HILL, STONE-BANKED RINGWORK (unrecorded SMR site) Empty Re: PENDLE HILL, STONE-BANKED RINGWORK (unrecorded SMR site)

Post  lowergate Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:15 pm

A good day all round for the three of us today Paul - Mikki has a good eye - superb markings, & a first!

Well done the both of you.

john

ps: see your Emails

j
    mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:19 pm

lowergate wrote:Fortune was indeed with me today, as on my return to Clitheroe in the early afternoon I decided to take a wander over the Big End of Pendle. Looking down from above Fox’s Well I noticed a circular feature in the moorland landscape below (given the heavy rain of late the moorland grasses are ‘pressed down’ making for good conditions for picking out features in the landscape, especially from high points). Low and behold, when I got down there I discovered a stone-ringed-banked circular earthwork with an entry facing east. The raised stone-reveted bank was 2m in width, and the whole circle roughly 19 paces in diameter. From my initial observation (I will be doing a full survey of the site on Sunday for inclusion on the Lancashire Sites & Monuments Record) I can state that the site is not unlike the one on Easington Fell that we examined on a recent TNA Field Trip, but smaller in size. My first thoughts are that I may have found a Iron/Bronze age living hut, and given the size this may be the case.

If, and as always with these features it is a big IF, I am proved right in my assumption, then this will be the most significant find from that early period to date in this part of Lancashire.

The banked-ringwork is located on a high point of ground above the Downhan to Barley road. I shall post the exact location on TNA on Sunday evening when I have Emailed my survey to Peter Isles at Lancs SMR, Preston.

I anyone wishes to come along on the survey with me on Sunday, feel free to do so. I will be on site at 10.30am. Contact me via TNA mail.

john

Sounds a bloody good find John - I Can't wait for a site visit bounce . I'm sorry though, I can't make Sunday as alternative arrangements have already been made. Mad
    Hopefully we can arrange to see it in the next week or two.

Mikki x

lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:35 pm

"For a person that cherishes compassion and love, the practice of tolerance is essential and for that an enemy is indispensable.So we should feel grateful to our enemies for it is they who can best help us develop a tranquil mind."

'Tibetan Portrait'

Love you both sweetheart

Thanks Mikki

john

mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:40 pm

lowergate wrote:

"For a person that cherishes compassion and love, the practice of tolerance is essential and for that an enemy is indispensable.So we should feel grateful to our enemies for it is they who can best help us develop a tranquil mind."

'Tibetan Portrait'

Love you both sweetheart

Thanks Mikki

john

love love
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Love U both ......

Keep up the good (& valuable for future generations) work on TNA

All my love to you both Mikki & Paulus - your contributions have been, and will continue to be, recorded and will always be respected , regarded, and taken note of by those WHO history recordeth,....

The eatablishment is a mere tower - you ARE THE BEDROCK of it's foundatioms in this age of communications we now enter ^&*(%$ , love & best wishes to you both -

Take good care of each other

john

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:57 pm