The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

+3
Sunbright57
Paulus
mikki
7 posters

Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found!

mikki
    mikki

Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found! Empty Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found!

Post  mikki Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Woww! what a day we have had. While wandering about the moors today we (Paul Hornby, Myself & Mi Paulus) stumbbled across various cairns, a cup-and-ring stone and 2 large rings of stones. All previous undiscovered finds. More details to follow..

Mikki
    Paulus
    Paulus

Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found! Empty Re: Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found!

Post  Paulus Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:27 pm

Hello there!

It has been a good day out! Cool But one small correction: the cup-and-ring stone we found has already been catalogued it seems. I'll add a profile on TNA for it in the next day or 3. However, hours later on our second exploratory sojourn of the day, Mikki did stumble upon a nice large ring of stones, definitely prehistoric in nature, and not in any archaeo-catalogues! bounce Twas groovy indeed! And then, not far away, we came across another one of the damn things! Awesome indeed! Two in a day. So we're off back up next week and give the first of the 2 more attention and see if we can work out the actual nature of the site. First impressions suggest a circular enclosure; but it may be a large cairn circle.

Cool WATCH THIS SPACE! Cool
    Paulus
    Paulus

Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found! Empty Re: Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found!

Post  Paulus Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:00 am

Here's an image of a newly discovered cairn circle on the moors:

Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found! Hazell10

We're back up to give it much greater attention in the coming days and weeks to see what it really looks like. There's a cup-marked stone on one of the stones on its eastern side. Most of the other stones are buried or just beneath the surface so we need to carefully examine it and see what more can be found. The circle measures roughly 27 feet north-south and 24 feet east-west. The site seems to be at least Bronze Age, perhaps earlier. Another small cairn and previously undiscovered settlement and/or enclosure walling was found nearby. The Northern Antiquarian team has decided to go ahead in its careful analysis of these sites in the absence of effective regional archaeologists, who seem either uninterested or possess remedial communication skills.
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found! Empty Mikki does it again - New prehistoric circles found!

Post  Sunbright57 Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:25 am

Looks like I have given you the idea - putting photos on with the comment, he he. Where is this circle, please.
    study
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:11 pm

[quote="Sunbright57"]Where is this circle, please.

Nice innit Ray!? The site's in West Yorkshire, but we're keeping its location quiet until we've given it the proper one-over. Last year when we found a couple of new sites, I got emails from a coupla archaeologists moaning that we should be informing them about our finds "instead of publicizing them on amateur websites" - which was a little insulting and also misrepresented their abilities. But when I've contacted a number of archaeo's about new finds over the last year or so, hardly any of them even bother replying - I can't work or engage with such people tbh. I prefer teamwork on level playing fields - which aint what was being propounded. So please excuse us if we keep the info on this site quiet until we've done our work here. This has never been the way I've done things in the past, but unfortunately as a result of emails from archaeologists last year, this has become our position with all new finds we make from now on. It's not the way we wanna work, but the System has them there non-negotiable rules, which I can't work with. Hope you understand. However, if you'd like a visit to the place, meet up with us and we'll take you up to see it.

(you should see the other stuff we've found recently - it's incredible Ray!)
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found! Empty Mikki Does It Again - Newly Discovered Stone Circle.

Post  Sunbright57 Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Ok Paul thanks, I'm doing something similar myself. I know of a cairn (Rossendale) that I want to find out about, nobody knows about it yet, I hope, but will let you know when I can get out there and then put it on here. study
    Paulus
    Paulus

Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found! Empty 'guerilla archaeology'

Post  Paulus Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:Ok Paul thanks, I'm doing something similar myself. I know of a cairn (Rossendale) that I want to find out about, nobody knows about it yet, I hope, but will let you know when I can get out there and then put it on here. study

Very understandable Ray. Cool I can seriously see the foundations of 'guerilla archaeology' groups - as Mr Hornby called it - taking form in the coming years, as the Net opens up to more and more serious amateurs who do a lotta work in their own time, uncovering more sites. As far as I can see, it's something we should encourage - although we need to temper such things with certain morals (so to speak). Those who occupy official positions are gonna need to wake up to this, as using the old-school technique of telling us what we can and can't do aint gonna work anymore...

But anyway - please let us know of your cairn finds once you've checked the place out. Wink Any chance we could call over & have a look aswell?

Cheers - Paul
    mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 pm

After some consideration, I have decided I'm going to call this 'Hazel's Circle'.
    On April 10th when this circle was discovered, Dave had told us within that hour that it was his birthday.

As some people are aware of Deadagaindave's dice with death at Winter Solstice, well this is honour of him.

Happy Birthday Dave. xx

Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:49 am

Here's the local newspaper report about the place:

http://www.ilkleygazette.co.uk/news/news_local/9062396.Another_prehistoric_stone_circle_found_on_Ilkley_Moor/

...or Hazell's Ring, as it's become so aptly known - discovered, as it was, on Dave Hazell's birthday, hence the name! Cool
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found! Empty Mikki Does it Again

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 am

Paul you're famous now in the local newspaper at Ilkley. I know Oakworth quite well, often visited the railway station there standing in the footsteps of the famous 'Railway Children'. Basketball
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:Paul you're famous now in the local newspaper at Ilkley.

I think the word 'infamy' is probably more apt than 'famous'! Shocked
    PeteG
    PeteG

Post  PeteG Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:20 pm

Fabulous news! Well done to you all!

Proper research by people outstanding in their field...

Pete
    aveburyantiquarian

Post  aveburyantiquarian Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Nice work, once again.
    Notice the notch in the hill, in line with the large stone, plus it lines up with the recumbent one. ?
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:22 am

Great day you had there Paul et. al.

Let me know when you next go over that way, and if Paul Hornby cound pick me up in Skipton.

john
    deadagaindave
    deadagaindave

Post  deadagaindave Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:16 am

I forgot to post my thanks for having my ring exposed to the baying hounds of the press.
    Don't tell me, dreams never come true! Cool
    A great find and most honored to have it named after me. Hazell's Ring! flower
    (that's with 2 l's, or one ell of a difference, as my granpa' used to say)
    BTW, I am told by the heart consultant that my dalliance with death was only an 'episode'. I'd no idea I was being filmed by Holby City. But it means that unless I'm daft enough to try to keep up with Paul on a moor in extreme conditions again, I should live to a ripe old age. The ripe bit, is already working on my feet. bom
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:45 pm

deadagaindave wrote:...A great find and most honored to have it named after me. Hazell's Ring! flower

And a damn good find it's been Dave! After a few more visits, I'll get a profile of the site on TNA. Cool

deadagaindave wrote:...unless I'm daft enough to try to keep up with Paul on a moor in extreme conditions again, I should live to a ripe old age. The ripe bit, is already working on my feet. bom

It's a pity you weren't out with us again today Dave - we've found some more stuff: standing stones, hut circles, cairns...the usual stuff. bounce bounce bounce
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi there!

aveburyantiquarian wrote:Nice work, once again.
    Notice the notch in the hill, in line with the large stone, plus it lines up with the recumbent one. ?

It'd be good if it was significant - but we don't think it is (soz...). And the recumbent one aint lined-up with this either. There is a distinct alignment from this circle, but we've gotta have a look at the place on the ground and contextualize it, then assess its astronomical potential. I'll write it all up once it'd done, but it may be sometime yet.

All the best - Paul
    aveburyantiquarian

Mikki does it Again - New Prehistoric Circles Found! Empty Budweiser

Post  aveburyantiquarian Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:55 pm

No worries, was wearing my beer goggles when i posted. tongue

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:47 pm