The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

BLACK HILL DELPH SD 649 279 BURIAL MOUND/TUMULUS

BLACK HILL DELPH SD 649 279 BURIAL MOUND/TUMULUS Empty BLACK HILL DELPH SD 649 279 BURIAL MOUND/TUMULUS

Post  Guest Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:55 pm

The Yellow Hills are so named from the flowering gorse and buttercups that abound here, and moorland grasses that viewed from afar are always yellow in hue.

Black Hill stands directly on a north/south line between the summit of Winter Hill and the site of the Roman Fort at Ribchester, BREMETENNACVM, being one of a number of significant ley/earth energy lines that are said to radiate from this point and is viewed as a powerful Earth energy source by Earth Wisdom (Ertha) groups. Strangely enough the Bronze Age burial site in Pleasington Cemetery also stands directly on this north/south line.

The hill’s main attraction for me being the magnificent views that can be obtained from this spot: the East Lancashire Pennine Moors, the Lancashire Plane with the Welsh Mountains of Snowdonia in the distance, the Fylde Plane & Morecambe Bay with the Lakeland Fells as a backdrop, the Ribble Valley and Bowland Fells, and last but not least Pendle is always in view.

Before Black Hill was quarried for stone an earthen mound of unknown provenance stood upon the summit. Though the mound and its contents are now lost to the mists of time the space it occupied is still there.

If I could pick a final leaving place when I shed this corpse for immersion into the greater Unity it would be on the top of Black Hill overlooking the prospect of Livesey.

‘After treating life as a chemical experiment I find that the simplest life is the happiest’ (The Borrowdale Hermit, Millican Dalton ‘Professor of Adventure, 1867-1947
    Whose life was like ‘a candle which lights others while consuming itself’.)

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:33 am