The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

Howdo

Greenman
    Greenman

Howdo Empty Howdo

Post  Greenman Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:34 am

Ive browsed around here for a few years now so i think its only right to come out of the shadows.

I have a great interest in "Northern antiquities" especially relating to the Iron, Roman, Dark and Anglo saxon periods and particulary in Lancashire.

My hobbies include fieldwalking, metal detecting and researching history from the above and forementioned historical periods.

Howdo to you all.
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Howdo Empty Re: Howdo

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:51 pm

Howdo Greenman, you have the same hobbies as me, apart from metal detecting though I am interested in that and might someday get a metal detector. Its a bit quiet on here at the moment, Paulus our editor is away walking out in the hills of Scotland with his friend and various friendly animals! bounce 
    Greenman
    Greenman

Post  Greenman Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Howdo sunbright. I got into metal detecting because when out and about i kept finding bits of old pottery and figured if i can find antiquities on the surface so easily then im bound to find more underneath. Beginners luck i managed to dig up a few fourth century roman coins near walton le dale. Alas ive found sod all of any interest since (the odd musket ball and georgian coin) i seem to spend most the time unearthing bits of old tractor, not something i yearn to do during the winter months but on a warm evening in june it is indeed a great pastime. Its also a great way to see nature, being quiet and not moving so fast as you scan an area
    Greenman
    Greenman

Post  Greenman Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Sorry accidently hit sent in mid post. As i was saying, being all quiet and slow allows you to really blend into the environment and as a result you tend to see things, not long ago i managed to get within yards of a badger as it forraged away i simply stopped dead every time it looked around and then moved nearer as it stuck its head back in the ground.

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:37 pm

Greenman, I'd be very happy if I found a few old coins from the 1960s, let alone Georgian or Roman. If I found a Roman coin I would be well over the moon. There have been many Roman coins found in the Pendle area, especially up by Castercliffe hillfort, Portfield hillfort, Catlow and Wheatley Lane. It must be exciting to find something so old, but I would settle for something much more recent - thankyou very much! Keep up the good work, and let us know if you find anything outstanding. Ray.
    Greenman
    Greenman

Post  Greenman Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 am

i was well chuffed when i found the Roman coins, I've only managed to identify one for sure, it is of constantius II and was minted in 350-5 A.D. on the other side it depicts a soldier spearing an enemy of Rome.
    The only other Roman find I've been fortunate to discover is a shard of 2nd century samianware. incredibly i found this just walking a stretch of hadrians wall near wallhouses very near to dere street. i was just following the footpath a few meters south of the wall the adjacent field had been ploughed and there was the Roman pottery led on the surface standing out like a sore thumb. im no expert but i instantly recognised it, a cheeky hop over the fence and i had one hell of a momento to take from my visit to hadrians wall.
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Yes, I think I have grasped it now. Constantius II was emperor from 350-361 and was the son of Constantius I (also known as Constantine and Constantius Chlorus). I think Constantius II also ruled in the early 330s with his brother Constantius. All very confusing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:50 am