The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

4 posters

Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire

markdobson

Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire Empty Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire

Post  markdobson Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:40 am

According to the CADW information board by this stone cross, the monks of Basingwerk Abbey erected a chapel nearby to the south in the 12th century, and that this chapel still exists as a pair of cottages. If this is true, then this must be one of the oldest inhabited buidlings in the country. When I was there recently I tried to find these buildings, but it was not at all clear where exactly they were, though there were a couple of contenders at map reference SJ126787. If this is the site of the chapel, then I would presume that the occupiers must be aware and are perhaps not keen on all and sundry strolling through their property looking for ancient ruins. Can anyone shed more light on this site?
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire Empty Maen Achwyfan, Whitford, Flintshire

Post  Sunbright57 Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:19 am

Hello Mark, welcome. No don't know any more than you about the chapel. Its probably there where you say, but the people living there either don't know about it, or just don't want people rummaging around for ruined buildings. Have you seen my main site page on the TNA front pages. I have mentioned there being a chapel to the south of the cross. Its a nice area round Whitford, Pantasaph and Holywell - plenty to look at. St Winifred's Well is a lovely place to visit on a hot day too.
    Mad
    QDanT
    QDanT

Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire Empty Hi

Post  QDanT Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Hello Mark, the whole area looks interesting I've stuck 17 red flags on the map
    Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire MaenAchwyfaen
    hold down Ctrl key click + key to enlarge - to shrink
    Cheers Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire BeerDanny
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire Empty Whitford Church Stone

Post  Sunbright57 Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:19 pm

There's an interesting inscribed stone in Whitford church too. Will get it on here shortly. Shocked

I think Paul and the team will have to arrange a trip out to this area of north Wales, there's loads of ancient sites to look at. Basketball
    deadagaindave
    deadagaindave

Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire Empty Re: Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire

Post  deadagaindave Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:30 am

Any idea what order the monks may have been mark?
    A local historian, informs me that the early Franciscans, were of the small is beautiful persuasion, when it came to buildings. cyclops
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire Empty Maen Achwyfan, Whitford, Flintshire

Post  Sunbright57 Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:25 am

The Order of Savigny (Savignac) monks from France established Basingwerk Abbey in 1138, later affiliated to the Cistercians of Buildwas Abbey. Very Happy
    deadagaindave
    deadagaindave

Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire Empty Re: Maen Achwylfan, Whitford, Flintshire

Post  deadagaindave Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks Sunbright. I'll find out more about them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:46 pm