The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

3 posters

hello from a southern softie immigrant

animystic
    animystic

hello from a southern softie immigrant Empty hello from a southern softie immigrant

Post  animystic Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:54 am

Wotcha... My name is Adam and I live in Haworth, West Yorks... moved up here from Milton Keynes a decade ago... best move I ever made Very Happy

48, married, most spiritually involved at present with a small Brythonic reconnectionist movement, though I would probably regard myself first and foremost as an animist with a mystical bent. I'm interested in the landscape as a spiritual cartography, embracing folklore, narrative, song... I retain an affection for and some involvement with contemporary Druidry though I would consider myself apostate from that particular movement

I really enjoy the site, reading about places so close to home and connecting with them through folklore, and am looking forward to participating...
    mikki
    mikki

hello from a southern softie immigrant Empty Re: hello from a southern softie immigrant

Post  mikki Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:24 am

animystic wrote:Wotcha... My name is Adam and I live in Haworth, West Yorks... moved up here from Milton Keynes a decade ago... best move I ever made Very Happy

48, married, most spiritually involved at present with a small Brythonic reconnectionist movement, though I would probably regard myself first and foremost as an animist with a mystical bent. I'm interested in the landscape as a spiritual cartography, embracing folklore, narrative, song... I retain an affection for and some involvement with contemporary Druidry though I would consider myself apostate from that particular movement

I really enjoy the site, reading about places so close to home and connecting with them through folklore, and am looking forward to participating...

Hi There Adam and a warm Welcome to the Forum (waves in the direction of Haworth from Keighley!). You are welcome to come on some of our wanders across the Moors to some of our ancient sites (make sure your ticker is up for it though!).

Mikki x
    animystic
    animystic

hello from a southern softie immigrant Empty Re: hello from a southern softie immigrant

Post  animystic Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:07 am

mikki wrote:
    Hi There Adam and a warm Welcome to the Forum (waves in the direction of Haworth from Keighley!). You are welcome to come on some of our wanders across the Moors to some of our ancient sites (make sure your ticker is up for it though!).

Mikki x
    Hi Mikki... thanks for the welcome, despite the cheek Laughing I'll have you know that despite increasing girth and age, plus voluminous toxins prescribed by my GP to reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack, I'm pretty good at the old one foot in front of the other on green bumpy ground thing Cool Actually, that sounds quite cool sometime (my daughter complains when I drag her across mud to pre-historic sites these days!)
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:18 am

animystic wrote:Wotcha... My name is Adam and I live in Haworth, West Yorks... moved up here from Milton Keynes a decade ago... best move I ever made Very Happy

Hi Adam!

Nice to hear from thee! Smile We'll forgive them Southern origins, now you've converted to the greater wonders of our Northern landscape! Wink

There's some intriguing sites upon the hills near you. I've yet to have a look at the Great Stone, and can't find any notes about it either, upon the moor-edge nearer Oxenhope though. Do you know owt about it? There's also a cluster of cup-marked stones on the moors up by you aswell, though the land-owner wants their location kept quiet - and for good reasons. We also need to explore the landscape round Alcomden again, as it seems ritual remains that way lives. The place stinks of such activity, but the official records unsurprisingly say nothing. We've found some sites up there (singular cairn, & a 1.2m tall standing stone attached to a length of prehistoric walling/hut circle), but there's summat missing thereby, if y' get mi drift. If spiritual landscape's your sorta thing, I'd be intrigued to see what your nose sniffs-out up there.

Anyhow you're certainly welcome to join us on one of our ambles. We'll be doing a lot more as the daylight minutes & hours return, enabling greater wanderings. As you're only up the road from us, it'd be good to meet up in the coming months.

All the best - Paul Cool
    animystic
    animystic

Post  animystic Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:39 am

Paulus wrote:
    Hi Adam!

Nice to hear from thee! Smile We'll forgive them Southern origins, now you've converted to the greater wonders of our Northern landscape! Wink

There's some intriguing sites upon the hills near you. I've yet to have a look at the Great Stone, and can't find any notes about it either, upon the moor-edge nearer Oxenhope though. Do you know owt about it? There's also a cluster of cup-marked stones on the moors up by you aswell, though the land-owner wants their location kept quiet - and for good reasons. We also need to explore the landscape round Alcomden again, as it seems ritual remains that way lives. The place stinks of such activity, but the official records unsurprisingly say nothing. We've found some sites up there (singular cairn, & a 1.2m tall standing stone attached to a length of prehistoric walling/hut circle), but there's summat missing thereby, if y' get mi drift. If spiritual landscape's your sorta thing, I'd be intrigued to see what your nose sniffs-out up there.

Anyhow you're certainly welcome to join us on one of our ambles. We'll be doing a lot more as the daylight minutes & hours return, enabling greater wanderings. As you're only up the road from us, it'd be good to meet up in the coming months.

All the best - Paul Cool

Hi Paul... thanks for the welcome... I don't know anything about the Great Stone... most of what I know about the area I know from this site and some booklets... but I'm wanting to do some research into some ideas I have, Very Happy For nose sniffing I tend to rely on my (far more sceptical than me) wife, who has a nose for spirit of place like nobody's business, but it sounds intriguing... looking forward to these walks you talk of Very Happy
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:34 am

animystic wrote:...I don't know anything about the Great Stone...

Damn! - Damn! - and thrice Damn! I think the history of the place has fallen from waking consciousness tbh. The best we could expect of the place would be a place-name attempt; or the empty erudite who might simply tell, "it's a big stone - that's why it was called the Great Stone" - but such dry explanations lacks the animistic constitution implicit to natural people who know that a stone is never only a stone, etc. Unless of course we find some cup-markings on it, or boundary perambulation account, or living space...

animystic wrote:...For nose sniffing I tend to rely on my (far more sceptical than me) wife, who has a nose for spirit of place like nobody's business, but it sounds intriguing... looking forward to these walks you talk of Very Happy

Ooooooohhhh....that sounds good! A sceptical bod who knows & feels genius loci - I like the sound of that!

Anyway - I must frobble off to my sad Saturday pastime. I've the football to watch (sad of me, I know). Will talk later Adam.

All the best - Paul Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 am