The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

4 posters

Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley

LGM

Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley Empty Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley

Post  LGM Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi all!

firstly I'd like to say a BIG hello, as I'm a new member to the forum Very Happy 

And secondly I'd like to ask the members if they have any info, whatsoever, on a Holy well "Lady Well" which was/is situated within Lady wood at Grimethorpe, nr Barnsley.

I've just recently heard about the Holy well but can't seem to find anymore details about it other than The Lady wood was considered to be owned by the Monkbretton priory and that it's named after Mary Magdalene. There is also supposed to be a Lady Cross situated somewhere around there.

Any shedding of light on these subjects would be highly appreciated!

Regards,

Paul
    Paulus
    Paulus

Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley Empty Re: Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley

Post  Paulus Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Paul -

Welcome to TNA! Cool 

Re your query on Barnsely's holy well: there was a booklet written by one of our old earth mystery fella's - Rob Wilson - called Holy Wells of South Yorkshire (or summat like that).  I remember reading about such a site in the Barnsley area.  Unless someone else digs out the info about the place, forgive my delay getting you the information, as I'm away from home at the mo, for 2 weeks.  I've listed it on the South Yorkshire gazetteer here - http://megalithix.wordpress.com/sites/northern-england/yorkshire-south/ - so I've definitely got summat on the place.  I'll check on the books when I get back to Scotland in a fortnight and see what I can find.  Otherwise, mebbe check your local library and order a copy of Rob's short work.

Also, I've got an old photo - again at home - of the Monk Bretton holy well.

ttfn - Paulus
    LGM

Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley Empty Re: Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley

Post  LGM Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Paulus wrote:Hi Paul -

Welcome to TNA! Cool 

Re your query on Barnsely's holy well: there was a booklet written by one of our old earth mystery fella's - Rob Wilson - called Holy Wells of South Yorkshire (or summat like that).  I remember reading about such a site in the Barnsley area.  Unless someone else digs out the info about the place, forgive my delay getting you the information, as I'm away from home at the mo, for 2 weeks.  I've listed it on the South Yorkshire gazetteer here - http://megalithix.wordpress.com/sites/northern-england/yorkshire-south/ - so I've definitely got summat on the place.  I'll check on the books when I get back to Scotland in a fortnight and see what I can find.  Otherwise, mebbe check your local library and order a copy of Rob's short work.

Also, I've got an old photo - again at home - of the Monk Bretton holy well.

ttfn - Paulus

Hi Paulus,

Thanks for the info. It would be really great if you can dig out some information regarding the Holy well. As for going to the local library, I very much doubt they'd have a dusty copy of Rob' book stashed away, as I live in Germany Smile

So I'll wait here with bated breath, ready to congratulate you on your spooky Sherlock skills Wink

Thanks again, matey!

Paul
    Annie
    Annie

Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley Empty Lady Well Grimethorpe

Post  Annie Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:13 am

Hi, I can't shed much light on this I'm afraid but I very clearly remember going there on a school trip 40 years ago. Yes, it was called Lady Wood and I do remember a well though think it was very overgrown. I no longer live in the area, so can't help much with research but
    good luck with your searching.
    Annie
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:48 pm

LGM wrote:Hi all!

firstly I'd like to say a BIG hello, as I'm a new member to the forum Very Happy 

And secondly I'd like to ask the members if they have any info, whatsoever, on a Holy well "Lady Well" which was/is situated within Lady wood at Grimethorpe, nr Barnsley.

I've just recently heard about the Holy well but can't seem to find anymore details about it other than The Lady wood was considered to be owned by the Monkbretton priory and that it's named after Mary Magdalene. There is also supposed to be a Lady Cross situated somewhere around there.

Any shedding of light on these subjects would be highly appreciated!

Regards,

Paul
    Hi don't know if this will be of any use ?
    they're not on the modern maps Crying or Very sad  but are on the old OS 25k maps Very Happy 
    you'll see a blue arrow and a paler blue square, the ariel photo on the right is of the blue square from recent mapping
    Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley Ladywell_zpse5d82472

Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley Ladycross_zps0168224b
    feel free to ask for any more info
    cheers  Danny
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:41 am

I've put a Lat/Long overlay onto the map and x2 more different time ariel views

Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley Ladycrosslat-long_zps237782cc

cheers popcorn 
    QDanT
    QDanT

Lady Well situated in Grimethorpe nr. Barnsley Empty note to Paulus

Post  QDanT Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:38 am

open note to Paulus :-
    Hi Paulus, once again someone joins TNA :-  LGM on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:53 am, and asks a question has a reply :-
    Paulus on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:16 pm, - LGM answers this  1 hr 36 min later and adds :-
    So I'll wait here with bated breath, ready to congratulate you on your spooky Sherlock skills

LGM has never signed into TNA again even though I sent him an E-mail saying that there was a couple of Maps posted for him (I didn't send him them)
    So as always if you can use the maps feel free to add any of my photo's and maps to Megalithix
    cheers Danny

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:28 am