The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

4 posters

Funny PM and my reply

QDanT
    QDanT

Funny PM and my reply Empty Funny PM and my reply

Post  QDanT Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 am

Funny PM and my reply Untitled-1_zpsbeef30e0

Last edited by QDanT on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 1st try too small to read)
    Paulus
    Paulus

Funny PM and my reply Empty Re: Funny PM and my reply

Post  Paulus Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:53 pm

What have you been doing Dan!? Rolling Eyes (y' still can't read the full message)
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Paulus wrote:What have you been doing Dan!? Rolling Eyes (y' still can't read the full message)

Hello I am trying to find more support/research documentation as to the article printed on your site concerning the possibilities of Roman encampment/use in Whalley, Lancashire. The senior archaeologist for Lancashire Mr D Moir has serious reservations regarding this. Please can you contact me to let me know how I can substantiate what you have stated. We have developers all over Whalley wanting to build and this is why this has all come about.
    Hope you can help.
    Mel Diack
    Whalley
    melrose.diack@btinternet.com.

This has nothing to do with me and I thought it was a spoof so I answered :-

hello big dick unless you send a photograph of yourself wearing a roman skirt of leather ties and holding a brass eagle on a stick im sorry but i can be of no assistance to you

what other message are you on about paulus
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:18 pm

I ended up reading the PM after I'd sent that reply. I've no idea wot the dood's on about either. I emailed him & await anything of worth. No worries...
    QDanT
    QDanT

Funny PM and my reply Empty Manners

Post  QDanT Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:07 pm

also without introducing himself ! that was his first ? well not post but a pm to me ?
    I still think it's a spoof
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 pm

StuR

Post  StuR Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:03 am

QDanT wrote:Hello I am trying to find more support/research documentation as to the article printed on your site concerning the possibilities of Roman encampment/use in Whalley, Lancashire. The senior archaeologist for Lancashire Mr D Moir has serious reservations regarding this. Please can you contact me to let me know how I can substantiate what you have stated. We have developers all over Whalley wanting to build and this is why this has all come about.
    Hope you can help.
    Mel Diack
    Whalley

A bit late now but this PM was almost certainly genuine. Whalley is/was a small village, which due to Gov encouragement of resurging the building industry has been bombarded with outrageous & numerous new home building applications. At least two have been approved since this PM, which will geographically double the size of Whalley; there are still more in the application process It happened already with what used to be a WW1 hospital treating shell-shocked troops (calderstones); which has a small military cemetery attached which is now pretty messed up.
    The ref to Roman artifacts was probably a desperate attempt to claim historic significance & delay or stop the building. Last I heard it was based on a Roman altar being found in the Abbey ruins, which more than likely was pilfered from Ribchester fort in previous centuries.
    Though there is a known Roman signal tower on nearby Mellor hill.
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:50 pm

I believe the Roman altar with a figure of Mars carved onto it was found buried in the fabric of the church, but "yes" I understand the altar had come from Ribchester, at some point in recent history. Other than that, there does not seem to have been any Roman camp in Whalley, apart from maybe something on Mellor Hill? Whether that was a signal station, I don't know. There is a Romano-British camp/villa near Gisburn, but that's a fair distance from Whalley.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:14 pm