The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

Archaeologists find Viking burial site in Scotland

mikki
    mikki

Archaeologists find Viking burial site in Scotland Empty Archaeologists find Viking burial site in Scotland

Post  mikki Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Archaeologists said Tuesday they have discovered the remains of a Viking chief buried with his boat, ax, sword and spear on a remote Scottish peninsula — one of the most significant Norse finds ever uncovered in Britain.

The 16-foot-long (5-meter-long) grave is the first intact site of its kind to have been discovered on mainland Britain and is believed to be more than 1,000 years old. Much of the wooden boat and the Viking bones have rotted away, but scraps of wood and hundreds of metal rivets that held the vessel together remain. Read more Here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/9904036
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Archaeologists find Viking burial site in Scotland Empty Re: Archaeologists find Viking burial site in Scotland

Post  Sunbright57 Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:38 am

Yes, this is a very interesting find mikki. I first saw this on tv yesterday and was very excited by this historic find. I wish I could find something like this buried in the ground, it must feel absolutely brilliant to see items like these being excavated after 1,000 years and to actually be able to touch something like this 10th century Viking sword.Archaeologists find Viking burial site in Scotland 941392998

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:01 am