The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

Cromlech errrr or not

tricia

Cromlech errrr  or not Empty Cromlech errrr or not

Post  tricia Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:06 pm

I have a fab photo of a cromlech but don't know how to upload it to this site. I have an address for the cromlech, but can't get an OS grid reference, and every site I visit telling me how to get one wants to charge me hundreds of pounds for their programme.....

SOOooo if you would like to prove my cromlech doesn't exist then here is the way to go about it......find Woodlands Drive Horsforth via right turn after Bronte private School at Greengates..........follow it along over railway bridge and beyond until you reach a left bend that you don't follow, continue onwards instead with river still in view on right as you continue onto Underwood Road, a private road eventually I think, that goes through woodland on both sides eventually. Follow track with interest looking at many interesting stones either side, some in private land, keep an eye out for a huge stone at foot of one driveway on left where you can see cup markings displayed.

This is billionaires row I mmight add where most houses are out of view due to masses of acres of land down to gate...a rarity in themselves nowadays.........continue along road going past signs at lower end of one set of grounds on left warning you of CCTV cameras, once you have cleared these grounds on left, keep eyes peeled for further woodland continuing and after 2-300 yards beyond the CCTV warnings, you will see , twenty feet beyond the tracks boundary wall, or what's left of it, a cromlech behind a holly bush. The capstone is quite large about 2 foot by four I think but didn't have a measure with me, the support stones may be two foot or more, but difficult to tell without diggin deeper.

I've got a 19 century OS map but nothing on it about this, but then most of Horsforth is only documented post 1066 and the archeologists at council are busy looking at modern stuff circa 1800 cos this is ancient history to them...... as well as busy looking at how to sell off land so they wont be interested in this at all......the cromlech is actually on the lower edge of the old hospital grounds, sold off ten years since by Bradford council, and now boasting carefully tneded grounds and leasehold mansions where you can go pick apples from the neglected fruit trees because most people who live here enjoy shopping at waitrose and wouldn't dream of picking locally grown produce!!!

There's lots of other stuff around here that needs exploring as it does look like there may be more cupstones at least......
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Cromlech errrr  or not Empty Re: Cromlech errrr or not

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Tricia, I think you will need to sign up to Word Press.Com that works as a server for TNA then upload photo/photos to that then click on to the square at the top Host an Image and then follow on from there clicking on the photo no/info and then copy/paste that to the square called image, then put cursor where you want the pic to appear and press submit/send. Otherwise send Paul or myself the photo and we will get it on for you, hopefully. Photobucket will work as well without the stuff I just mentioned.
    tricia

Post  tricia Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:20 am

Sunbright57 wrote:Tricia, I think you will need to sign up to Word Press.Com that works as a server for TNA then upload photo/photos to that then click on to the square at the top Host an Image and then follow on from there clicking on the photo no/info and then copy/paste that to the square called image, then put cursor where you want the pic to appear and press submit/send. Otherwise send Paul or myself the photo and we will get it on for you, hopefully. Photobucket will work as well without the stuff I just mentioned.

Hello Sunbright
    Thanks for the instructions, I'll try and upload to wordpress spot-on

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:03 pm