The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

4 posters

Rivock Edge

QDanT
    QDanT

Rivock Edge Empty Rivock Edge

Post  QDanT Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:26 am

Went for a wander to Rivock Edge after spotting lots of cup and ring stones marked on the map in the end I found more without the map than with. I zig zaged a couple of marked areas and found nothing yet seemed to be drawn straight to ones that weren't on the map or just found them by chance ? A bit like stopping looking down and there’s a bunch of pointed jobbies – intuition – divination ? Any how although this will be covering old ground they’ll be new photo’s !
    Rivock Edge Rivockmap
    Parked just off the Silsden road and followed the foot path towards the TV aerials but turned off into the wood to be met with loads of these signs on the trees
    Rivock Edge 05
    I though they might say Trespassers will be shot on sight ! but the Bear said they say Free beer at the top of the wood, neither happened as 1/2 way I turned off and headed for the moor, came out and looked for the map cup and rings – Zero back to the wood wall and followed it to find ( here the map says boundary stone ) Flag 1
    Rivock Edge 1a
    the Bear still says Marbles
    Rivock Edge 1b
    Headed back along the moor and found this just by chance (not on map) as it was hidden until you were on top of it Flag 2
    Rivock Edge 2a
    the Marbles might have started as a joke but they really show up the cup positions where the photo doesn’t
    Rivock Edge 2b
    back to the wood edge wall and followed it along towards the Trig point passing a “T” for Teddy carving
    Rivock Edge A
    just passed the Trig but had to climb over the wall, then followed Rivock edge along
    Rivock Edge B
    and passed another carving
    Rivock Edge C
    as the edge swings round and meets the wall, came upon the Wandjina (name from TNA) Stone Flag 3
    Rivock Edge 3a

Rivock Edge 3b

Rivock Edge 3c

Rivock Edge 3d

Rivock Edge 3e
    with just near by on the end of Rivock Edge Flag 4
    Rivock Edge 4
    It was then off into the wood left right left zig zag this is far enough I’ll head back on a big diagonal to find this hidden in the trees Flag 5
    Rivock Edge Hiddenintrees

Rivock Edge 5a
    with most of the cups having a faint ring around
    Rivock Edge 5b
    back to climb the wall below the Trig then another into the field then through x2 gates and back out onto the road and the van drove to the Whetstone gate on Ilkley moor and followed the track downhill
    Rivock Edge Badgermap
    and turning right to the Badger Stone for a Wine
    Rivock Edge Z
    there were some like black wax crayon/charcoal stick stubs at the base and I thought they they looked better than the chalk,
    Rivock Edge Zz
    and who's to say these were not painted originally ?
    Rivock Edge Zzz

Rivock Edge Zzzz
    Back to the van was a long uphill slog after a long day ! just thought I'd share cheers all Danny

Last edited by QDanT on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:29 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Spl.)
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:52 am

Nice one Danny, can you find one of Paul to put on the rock. I have some teddy bears who might like to come and sit with yours !!! Evil or Very Mad
    lowergate
    lowergate

Rivock Edge Empty Re: Rivock Edge

Post  lowergate Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:28 am

Superb photographs, such clarity

Wish I could get the hang of how to put up pictures etc., on this site - one day I will figure it out but the results will never be as good as those here - again superb, john
    laughingball
    laughingball

Post  laughingball Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:51 am

I love your posts QDanT and hearing where you and the bear have been!
    Great pics and the marble idea is inspired for highlighting the cup marks. cheers
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:17 am

Don't know what I've done to deserve that. Five of me, one is quite enough, thank you.
    Question
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:55 am

Sunbright57 wrote:Don't know what I've done to deserve that. Five of me, one is quite enough, thank you.
    Question

sorry I'll get my coat Twisted Evil Danny

Last edited by QDanT on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:07 pm

Danny can you send me a photo of yourself, i'll see what I can do with that. I have a few ideas !!!
    bounce
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:Danny can you send me a photo of yourself, i'll see what I can do with that. I have a few ideas !!!
    bounce
    OK then but maybe this should go to "Owt Else" ? being a Newbie does any one get upset about going off topic ? even if I started the thread and the hijack ?
    Rivock Edge MDan
    cheers Danny Twisted Evil
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:56 pm

lowergate wrote:
    Wish I could get the hang of how to put up pictures etc., on this site - one day I will figure it out john
    Sunbright57 wrote:Can you come and help me put pics on, I have a job getting one to show up !! Rolling Eyes
    Hi John and Ray I've done a tutorial of how I do it and stuck it in "Owt Else"
    cheers Dannyhttps://northernantiquarian.forumotion.net/t366-posting-photo-s

Last edited by QDanT on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to it)
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Rivock Edge Empty QDanT photo

Post  Sunbright57 Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:51 am

Thanks Danny, so if I'm ever over in Earby I should be able to recognise you striaght away. No problem !! Ray. affraid
    QDanT
    QDanT

Rivock Edge Empty No thanks

Post  QDanT Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:Nice one Danny, I have some teddy bears who might like to come and sit with yours !!! Evil or Very Mad
    The Bear Rivock Edge Crushersmokingjacket
    say's "No thanks he's heard about your Bears" Rivock Edge Bondageteddys
    cheers Danny

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:58 am