The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

3 posters

Nearest RA to Wessex

PeteG
    PeteG

Nearest RA to Wessex Empty Nearest RA to Wessex

Post  PeteG Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:23 pm

here in Avebury we have one stone on Fyfield down with cup marks on
    (the most underwhelming RA I have ever seen said Hob)
    I am wondering where the nearest piece of RA is if I travelled north?

PeteG
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Nearest RA to Wessex Empty Re: Nearest RA to Wessex

Post  Admin Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi Pete!

PeteG wrote:here in Avebury we have one stone on Fyfield down with cup marks on
    (the most underwhelming RA I have ever seen said Hob)
    I am wondering where the nearest piece of RA is if I travelled north?

You don't have too much down there. There's the impressive-looking Pool Farm Cist in Somerset, here:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3258/pool_farm_cist.html - but that's going in the wrong direction.

But you don't have to many thereabouts, coming north. You can see the curious cup-markings I found in the churchyard at Salford, nr Rollright - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/5841/salford.html - which I'm still intrigued by. If George or someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll dig out what you've got tomorrow. Gotta have an early nite. Her Majesty awaits my pleasure in the morn. Bastards!
    tiompan

Nearest RA to Wessex Empty Re: Nearest RA to Wessex

Post  tiompan Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:01 am

Pete , probably Gloucestershire Offas Dyke x2 ,Drummer Boy stone (questionable ) but the most southerly , Blakeney Hill woods & Nottingham Hill Cheltenham .

George

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:31 pm