The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

Hi from North (ish) Lancashire

Lindylou

Hi from North (ish) Lancashire Empty Hi from North (ish) Lancashire

Post  Lindylou Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 am

Hello Everyone,

I joined Ancestry to do my family tree and had my DNA done and it's opened up a whole new interest. Having been raised as 'Anglo Saxon' because I am English so one of 'them' it's surprised me to find out that actually like most people our Ancestry is far more diverse even in England...as is everyone's no matter what part of Britain or indeed Ireland we come from. Even more interesting was finding out that the North West is classed as part of 'Brythonic' Britain and has been part of several kingdoms over the centuries, North Rheged, Hen Ogledd, Northumbria and of course we have the Briganti and mysterious Setantii (West) people to ponder. So now I am playing 'catch up'. I am struggling to find information about specifically North West settlements, it's as if it either wasn't widely settled, it hasn't been properly explored or a lot of evidence has been destroyed. West Penines is of interest as well, one grandparents Ancestry was from there. However, there are interesting clues...just hard to come by? Only yesterday whilst finding out Morecambe was named so in the 19th century and means Mor Cym (sea valley) and that there is evidence of settlement there going back 12,000 years!!!!

I get a bit baffled by our 'Celtic' Ancestry because we spend a lot of time in Wales and there are stone circles everywhere...what happened to ours? Nicked for building material like much of Hadrian's wall and Roman Forts or did we not go in for stone circles much?

I have charts on the DNA of Britain and know in the North West we are related to the modern people in Northern France, North Western France, Belgium, West Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway (those are combined) and a sliver on the chart to Spain. This is clear evidence that most of our DNA is probably a mix of Iron Age and Bronze Age...if not a tiny bit of Stone Age in the mix as well as later Scandinavian and Saxon additions. It looks very similar to the North East and quite similar to Yorkshire. Now I have made that connection I want to find out more about the North West pre written History i.e from prior to Anglo Saxon records. If anyone knows of any good books or other resources can they please let me know?

I will be taking an interest in other things too.

Thank you
    Lindylou

Hi from North (ish) Lancashire Empty Pennines!!!

Post  Lindylou Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:12 am

Sorry!!!
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Hi from North (ish) Lancashire Empty Hello Lindylou

Post  Sunbright57 Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi Lindylou. There is a book called 'The Place Names of Lancashire' by David Mills published by Batsford, London, 1986 (paperback). This might be of interest to you. There is a good bit of information on Morecambe, which is more or less the same as what you said. The name is of Celtic origins. There are probably other books, but this seems to be the best.

Sponsored content

Hi from North (ish) Lancashire Empty Re: Hi from North (ish) Lancashire

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am