The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

3 posters

Doff cocker cross

haworthnick

Doff cocker cross Empty Doff cocker cross

Post  haworthnick Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:42 pm

I am aware of an old stone cross in Bolton known as the doff cocker cross, it is know in the grounds of a church in Johnson Fold, but the cross is not in it's original position, and it has been used as a footbridge across a stream. Does anyone please have any more info on it.

Many thanks

Nick
    lowergate
    lowergate

Doff cocker cross Empty Doff Cocker Cross

Post  lowergate Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:00 am

Do you mean one of the three Anglo-Saxon crosses that are to be found in Bolton Parish Church (SD 721 093) ?

Best - john

www.lancashirediary.com
    haworthnick

Doff cocker cross Empty Re: Doff cocker cross

Post  haworthnick Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:12 am

The cross i am talking about is about 3miles from Bolton town centre off chorley old rd in a housing estate called Johnson fold.
    Nick
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:25 pm

SD 684 110. GOT IT!

This cross stands in the grounds of the Catholic church at Johnson Fold. Prior to the move to its present location it stood outside St Mary's church in Palace Street, Bolton, which was closed in 1987. For many years before its placing at St Mary's it had been laid flat and used as a footbridge over Dean Brook. The cross stands 7ft 2ins above ground level, and measures 18ins x 9ins at the base and 22ins across the arms.
    (ref: Bolton Journal and Guardian, 3rd March 1950, M. Shawbridge.)
    The cross is the same in design as the Kemple End 'Paulinus' cross on the western end of Longridge Fell SD 686 404.

As to the date of the Doffcocker Cross: Well the Oxford University recent survey of Lancashore & Chesire A/S Crosses dates the Kemple End Cross to possibly 10th/11th century. REF: Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture, Volume IX, Cheshire and Lancashire. Richard N Bailey, The British Academy.2010.

Best regards - john www.aussteigerpublications.com
    haworthnick

Post  haworthnick Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:56 pm

Many thanks.
    Nick
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:48 am

There is a similar cross at Ardfert, Co. Kerry.

The V-shaped upper arm with rounded edges might allude to the concept of the 'fork-shaped yokes' of the cross invoked by Aldhelm in a verse quatrain quoted in his De Virginitate.

The path across the brook where the cross acted as a footbridge needs investigating - do you know it ?

Off up Ozzie Moor now ....

www.aussteigerpublications.com
    haworthnick

Post  haworthnick Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 am

No i don't Im afraid. That's my next plan when i get chance. Will keep folks informed
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi Nick,

Do you have an OS SD location for the path crossing Dean Brook ? I could do some research on old estate maps, et. al.

Best regards
    john
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:06 am

Some interesting place-names around Dean Brook: Barrow Bridge (old burial site), Halliwell (holy well – possibly pre-Christian), Halliwell once formed an autonomous township in the ancient parish of Deane named after an ancient spring which used to exist at the northern end of the township off Smithills Croft Road. In Old English it was recorded as halig wella (i.e. holy well). Over the centuries the name has been spelt as Haliwalle (1220), Haliwell (1243), Harywal (1273), and Halewell (1277–Cool. In Deane Parish Church registers it was spelt Halliwoe.

Deane's name comes from the Old English word "denu" - meaning valley. In earlier times Deane was written without the final "e". The stream running in the valley to the west of the present church was given the Saxon name of Kirkbroke - meaning Church Brook. The valley is also referred to as Deane Clough.

Since Anglo-Saxon times there has been a chapel at Deane in the township of Rumworth,[ the earliest record is from the year 1100. This chapel of ease dedicated to St Mary the Virgin (indication of pre-Christian site) was sometimes referred to as St. Mariden i.e. St. Mary's, Deane in old documents. Deane chapelry in the ancient Parish of Eccles (a further indication, here going back to the Roman period) was mentioned in 13th century deeds and became a parish in its own right in 1541. St Mary's Church, on the site of the original chapel, dates from 1452 replacing earlier buildings, the tower and north door are older than the rest of the building. The church has been altered at various times and restored in about 1880.

I think that the Doffcocker Cross may pre-date the C10 by a few centuries.
    haworthnick

Post  haworthnick Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:51 am

No i don't important afraid. I plan to see if i can see any likely crossing points from old maps or i could just ask at the library.

I know halliwell means holy well and within that area there are quite a few place and street names with strong religious connotations such as holy harbour and shepherds cross st

Nick
    lowergate
    lowergate

Doff cocker cross Empty DEAN BROOK, BOLTON

Post  lowergate Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Went to Bolton Library today - superb place - no dossers hanging around - nice people - superb town centre

Looked at the 1850 OS Map - two crossing places across Dean Brook by 'stepping stones', one below Brown Low going to Burnt End Farm, the other is below New Field Farm and Walker Fold.

DOFFCOCKER - place-name

From the Celtic dubh meaning dark or black, and cocr meaning a winding stream, giving "dark winding stream",

john

www.aussteigerpublications.com
    haworthnick

Post  haworthnick Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:31 am

Many thanks if i get chance I'll get up there and have a look and let people know.
    Nick
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:20 am

Hi Nick,

The Bolton Pagan Group have invited me over to look at an Avenue of Stones they have located on Winter Hill that runs between two known BA burial mounds in the second week in September (date to be confirmed). Also on that visit they will show me the site on Dean Brook where the Cross was used as a footbridge + we are taking in the Holy Well (preXian) as well. You are more than welcome to join us

I will let you know the date and Meet Up point/time as soon as they get back to me.

Best regards

john
    haworthnick

Post  haworthnick Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Why does a site dedicated to st Mary the virgin indicate a pre-Christian site?

So if something is in the parish of Eccles indicate the same?
    Nick
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:45 pm

from post #4 above
    The cross is the same in design as the Kemple End 'Paulinus' cross on the western end of Longridge Fell SD 68647 40438
    Doff cocker cross 39
    from https://northernantiquarian.forumotion.net/t460-cross-base-nr-mitton-green

you do know https://northernantiquarian.forumotion.net/t649-lowergate-has-died

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am