The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

3 posters

"Hello"

QDanT
    QDanT

"Hello" Empty "Hello"

Post  QDanT Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:34 pm

What to say ? Scratch head - 60's retired, enjoy wandering off the beaten track usually cook a meal and have a bottle of wine when out, take a few photo's and post to my Blog have found a couple of cup and ring stones by chance when out and they just "felt" right certainly to stop at, not interested in acedemic twaddle about them ! found this one by chance West Agra Plantation at Gollinglith Nr. Masham SE 1425 8175 I had set off to the Twin Standing Stones SE 124 801 because I liked the name Gollinglith Crags,but ended here, I've yet to go to the Twin Standing Stones
    "Hello" Agrawood
    Found this site (TNA) when searching for more to visit, still finding my way round and hope to put something back, I'll ask ? do you want photos of cup ring stones even if well known ?

thanks all for your time - Danny

Last edited by QDanT on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    Paulus
    Paulus

"Hello" Empty Re: "Hello"

Post  Paulus Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi Dan - and welcome to TNA! Cool

I really like the cup-and-ring stone image at West Agra. It's bloody superb!!! Any chance I could use it (with reference to your good self of course) in a profile entry of the stone on TNA? Unless you wanna do one y'self?

It's described as the West Agra Plantation carving number 8 - or WAP 8 - in Paul Brown's Prehistoric Rock Art in the Northern Dales and I aint been to any of them up there as of yet. I wouldn't mind sleeping up there for a coupla days and surveying a few of them in the vicinity. In your photo it seems that there's more to the carving than what Brown describes, with additional cups on part of the stone. A lovely lovely image indeed...

As for the cluster of other large stones in your other photo, they do seem to have been moved; but perhaps they were quarried? There seems to be more recent cuts along one of the rocks. I wouldn;t reckon they were prehistoric - but I could be wrong.

If you've anymore cup-and-ring images, some of us on here would love to see 'em!

All the best - Paul Very Happy
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

"Hello" Empty Hello

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Some really nice photos here Danny, well presented as well. Like the cup-and ring rock too. Thanks.
    Ray bounce

Sponsored content

"Hello" Empty Re: "Hello"

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 am