The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

+4
mikki
Sunbright57
Paulus
chaffinches
8 posters

Greetings from Saddleworth

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Greetings from Saddleworth - Page 2 Empty Re: Greetings from Saddleworth

Post  Sunbright57 Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Yes, I agree totally. Dan shouldn't you be on tv instead of some of them other characters that "try" to tell us about prehistoric sites - naming no names, of course.Exclamation
    Lancastrian

Post  Lancastrian Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi i am new to this forum and thought i would join as its interesting.
    There seems to be a lot of people who do not know there locations, saddleworth is in the county palatine of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is not in Lancashire, yes Oldham council administer the area now but they have now put new signs up as you enter Saddleworth with the white rose of yorkshire on them and stating tha its a part of yorkshire, same with Oldham and Rochdale they have always been in Lancashire and still are, the county palatines have never been abolished all that changed in 1974 were the administration areas not the counties,Greater Manchester is not a county but an administration area and never replaced the counties of Lancashire Cheshire or Yorkshire and Oldham council celebrates Lancashire day in november and saddleworth celebrates yorkshire day....you cant take peoples affiliations away from them as to what county there loyalties belong to, mine belong to lancashire as I was born in Salford Lancashire..........
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Hello Lancastrian welcome to TNA. Apologies about that, was it me at fault. Saddleworth is in Yorkshire - would that be 'the peoples republic of west Yorkshire' as opposed to 'the peoples republic of south Yorkshire'. I went to school in Rochdale in the early 70s and I think it was Lancashire then, but later became part of Greater Manchester, now back in Lancashire again - what a mess it is. Anyhow, please enjoy yourself on the forum and if you have any good stuff, please fire away and lets have it on here. Ray.
    QDanT
    QDanT

Greetings from Saddleworth - Page 2 Empty I can think of one

Post  QDanT Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Lancastrian wrote:Hi i am new to this forum and thought i would join as its interesting.
    There seems to be a lot of people who do not know there locations,

You're not wrong there see:- https://northernantiquarian.forumotion.net/t292-the-swinden-cross-head-colne
    QDanT wrote:
    Sunbright57 wrote: I have given the O.S grid reference for Colne Parish church here SD.888954.
    This is over 50 miles out and must be some kind of record it takes you just east of the Buttertubs pass above Muker into Swaledale
    Colne parish church is SD 88885 40124 the term "friendly fire" comes to mind if you were giving the co-ordinates !
    cheers Danny

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm