The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

LightTrac

Eskdale

LightTrac Empty LightTrac

Post  Eskdale Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Has anybody else discovered the wonderful App called LightTrac?
    It is based on a Google Earth satellite view of the UK. You can zoom in to any location, set the date you are interested in, and the App will show you the direction of sunrise and sunset for that location. In addition it will show you where the sun was shining from at any hour during the chosen day.

So to try it out I zoomed in on the northernmost stone of the Devil's Arrows at Boroughbridge.
    I set the date for 22 June, the summer solstice.
    The lines to the sunrise and sunset appeared to be irrelevant.
    So I moved the time of day until two stones were aligned with the sun.
    I looked at the time bar, and it showed that it was 12 noon!

I have not seen any explanation for the role of the Devil's Arrows, but this simple App suggests that they are aligned in order to show the exact middle of the astronomical year.

The App also worked on Stonehenge, where the Heel Stone and the processional way are in line with sunrise on the summer solstice. This appears to be a very useful tool for anybody analysing the positioning of stones in relation to astronomical events.

I would be interested to hear if anybody else has had success with this App.
    Cliff

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm