The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

Horus Carving Near Widdop/Gorple Reservoirs?

toxophilus

Horus Carving Near Widdop/Gorple Reservoirs? Empty Horus Carving Near Widdop/Gorple Reservoirs?

Post  toxophilus Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:11 am

Does anyone know anything about a carving of the Egyptian god Horus, allegedly carved on one of the rock outcrops in the area of Widdop/Gorple reservoirs, West Yorkshire? I've been trying might and main to try to find it without success.

The story goes that one of the engineers involved in the construction of the dams may have been a member of the number 6 or Horus temple of the Hermetic Order of the New Gold Dawn, which was (is?) based in Bradford. I've also noticed in my travels that one of the valve houses on Widdop dam is of a distinctive Egyptian style, where the rest of the associated buildings are not.

Any information gratefully received!!

Cheers

John
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Horus Carving Near Widdop/Gorple Reservoirs? Empty Re: Horus Carving Near Widdop/Gorple Reservoirs?

Post  Sunbright57 Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:00 am

No TOXOPHILUS, sorry have never heard of this carving but nothing would surprise me. There's lot of stuff out there on them there rocks. I have certainly heard of Widdop and Gorple as I live close by. Ray.Surprised

Last edited by Sunbright57 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
    toxophilus

Horus Carving Near Widdop/Gorple Reservoirs? Empty Re: Horus Carving Near Widdop/Gorple Reservoirs?

Post  toxophilus Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:11 am

Sunbright57 wrote:No Mikki, sorry have never heard of this carving but nothing would surprise me. There's lot of stuff out there on them there rocks. I have certainly heard of Widdop and Gorple as I live close by. Ray.Surprised

Thanks, but who's Mikki???!! Laughing
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Hello Toxophilus are you a Roman by any chance, the Latin name you have. Mikki, she is the bosses lady. Paulus and Mikki are an item. Hope I've got that right, I'll be told if I haven't. HELP. Anyways welcome to TNA. What do ya know ?Mad Embarassed Yes, I know I called you Mikki, sorry. We're all a bit bonkers on here. Mikki's a very, very nice lady !!!!!! There are some stone carvings, probably modern, on Boulsworth Hill. You can find them on the forum.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm