The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

Rye Loaf Hill cairn, Settle - query

Paulus
    Paulus

Rye Loaf Hill cairn, Settle - query Empty Rye Loaf Hill cairn, Settle - query

Post  Paulus Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:34 am

Just a query to ask if anyone can throw any light on the large overgrown cairn, on top of Rye Loaf Hill (at grid-ref SD 864 633), east of Settle, in the Yorkshire Dales? We went up there a few days ago in dense fog (then slept rough on its south-side, like idiots!), and at the top is the large 'cairn', as marked on the OS-map, about 10 yards across. Does anyone know anything about the age of this cairn? I ask, as it had all the hallmarks of others in the Pennines, such as the Apronful of Stones, the Devil's Apronful and other prehistoric cairns. Added to this is the fact that the site used to be known, according to Harry Speight, as 'Inglehowe' - and the place-name suffix howe has a tendency to be a 'tomb'. Someone has dug into the middle of the cairn at sometime in the past, but I know of no official archaeological dig here. I've emailed the Skipton archaeologist Robert White to ask if he knows owt. Anyone here have any ideas?

Rye Loaf Hill cairn, Settle - query Rye_lo10

There's a large modern cairn of stones on the southern edge of the older cairn, some of which seems to have been nicked from the older buried cairn, and used as a windbreak. But it's the older, overgrown thing I'm interested in. Just how old is it?

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm