The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

3 posters

PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428

lowergate
    lowergate

PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428 Empty PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428

Post  lowergate Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:52 am

The site is located on a raised section of rough moorland named Stoney Bank directly to the north of the Big End of Pendle Hill. The site affords fine views over the upper Ribble Valley with the mountains of the western Yorkshire Dales as a backdrop.

The form is of a circular raised stone bank some 7ft in width broken only by an entry facing directly to the east towards the Heights of Wheathead and the Pike of Alainsete.

The raised-banked ringwork has an external diameter of 72ft, and an internal diameter of 58ft. Prodding of the internal floor area with a metal spiked tool in random locations suggests a paved surface at some depth below the turf. Prodding in the centre of the circle suggested a deeper large stone lined pit. Given that the morning turned wet further investigation is needed. A look on Google Earth and Aerial photographs may prove rewarding.

On my return to Clitheroe I called in at the cottage of a hedge-witch friend of mine, one by the name of Hawthorn, to see if she new of the site. She informed me that she did indeed know the site and that she and her kind used it as a ‘dancing ground’ at the time of the New Moon. In fact, she went on to inform me, she would be off out in an hour or so to mark out the ground with sprigs of Rowen as this Monday night was a New Moon. Men are not allowed at these gatherings and those venturing in the vicinity at such times face great humiliations and are rendered to the fate of Molly Boys, scorned and mocked and later to face self exile to that barbarous place beyond the Pale known as Yorkshire.

Last edited by lowergate on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    Paulus
    Paulus

PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428 Empty Re: PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428

Post  Paulus Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:59 am

lowergate wrote:...Men are not allowed at these gatherings and those venturing in the vicinity at such times face great humiliations and are rendered to the fate of Molly Boys, scorned and mocked and later to face self exile to that barbarous place beyond the Pale known as Yorkshire.

'ere - a' you callin' maa mutha a puff!? Suspect
    Paulus
    Paulus

PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428 Empty Re: PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428

Post  Paulus Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Ahem ! Errr...sorry about that. Dunno wot came over me...

lowergate wrote:

The site is located on a raised section of rough moorland named Stoney Bank directly to the south of the Big End of Pendle Hill. The site affords fine views over the upper Ribble Valley with the mountains of the western Yorkshire Dales as a backdrop.

The form is of a circular raised stone bank some 7ft in width broken only by an entry facing directly to the east towards the Heights of Wheathead and the Pike of Alainsete.

The raised-banked ringwork has an external diameter of 72ft, and an internal diameter of 58ft. Prodding of the internal floor area with a metal spiked tool in random locations suggests a paved surface at some depth below the turf. Prodding in the centre of the circle suggested a deeper large stone lined pit. Given that the morning turned wet further investigation is needed. A look on Google Earth and Aerial photographs may prove rewarding.

So - a venture Pendle-way is needed (I wouldn't mind seeing t' Fox Well and that there Devil's Footprint on t'lower side of Pendle Hill too). Dave - wanna jaunt over in t' next week? Danny - have y' got y' new car on t'road yet?
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:27 pm

It is all the fault of that photo-grafik minded idiot William Hague - where on earth did he pop out from in that vast swathe of landscape that now includes your idylic Elmet? Some say he is a foundling from Spring Mount or a Mekon from a Dan Dare comic strip.
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Is all that stuff for real John, or are you just having us all on. Have you been drinking that stuff, again.PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428 3692232092 PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428 1898638883 Ray.PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428 240706996
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:48 am

All is for real Ray.

There is only the Real, all else is illusion in that span of life, but a wink in the eye of the Real, our cognitions have, by the mere chance of being here in that mili-second's wink, to observe.

Was Tim Bobbin real, or just a thread off some weaver's reel ?
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:20 am

Hi John, I think Tim Bobbin (John Collier 1708-86) was a real person - he was a poet much associated with Rochdale, a town I know well from my childhood days - some of which I'd rather forget. Don't drink too much of that ye olde ale John PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428 3692232092 PENDLE HILL, STONEY BANK RINGWORK, SD 806 428 2896762703
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:00 pm

On this day Ray, it being the feast day of John the Baptist, and a New Moon for witches to dance beneth, I give you a poem :-

Formerly, when they us'd to troul
    Silver bowls of sack, they gave the bowl
    Two spoons at least, an ill used kept;
    'tis well if now our own be left
    For Hawthorn's sisters on yon' moor,
    As all a round men feel the lure.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am