The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

+4
QDanT
Sunbright57
lowergate
Paulus
8 posters

New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley

iancarr

New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley - Page 2 Empty Re: New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley

Post  iancarr Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:54 am

Congragulations on the find Mikki. It looks good. Have you informed the Ilkley rock art organization so they can add it to their survey?

Ian
    QDanT
    QDanT

New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley - Page 2 Empty more photo's

Post  QDanT Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Paul did you sort out any more photo's ?
    New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley - Page 2 Paulrelief
    have you washed the plaster off yet ?
    cheers Danny
    Andy Wade
    Andy Wade

New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley - Page 2 Empty Some idea of scale on the photos please?

Post  Andy Wade Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:58 am

When people take these photos, please could they put something like a pound coin on the stone for scale? I can't really tell how big these carvings are. Cheers, Andy.
    mikki
    mikki

New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley - Page 2 Empty Re: New Cup and Ring stones Discovered near Ilkley

Post  mikki Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:31 am

Andy Wade wrote:When people take these photos, please could they put something like a pound coin on the stone for scale? I can't really tell how big these carvings are. Cheers, Andy.

Oops, cheers for the tip Andy. I will try to remember that next time.
    The stone in the picture is roughly 5 feet long by 2 to 2 1/2 feet. I will get the tape measure out next time I'm there.

Welcome to the forum

Mikki x
    Andy Wade
    Andy Wade

Post  Andy Wade Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:11 am

mikki wrote:
    Andy Wade wrote:When people take these photos, please could they put something like a pound coin on the stone for scale? I can't really tell how big these carvings are. Cheers, Andy.

The stone in the picture is roughly 5 feet long by 2 to 2 1/2 feet. I will get the tape measure out next time I'm there.

Welcome to the forum

Mikki x

Cheers Mikki. spot-on
    Last year I got to do some surveying work with an archaeologist and he brought along a garden cane that he had wrapped alternately in red and white insulation tape to make what he called a ranging rod. It was in 5 bands 20 cm wide, making up one metre in length. He just kept it in the back of his car. Cheap and cheerful, but it worked well on the pictures he took. I'm going to nick that idea for myself! Very Happy

Edited to add: It's a brilliant find, by the way. Well done!
    mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Andy Wade wrote:
    mikki wrote:

Welcome to the forum

Mikki x

Cheers Mikki. spot-on
    Last year I got to do some surveying work with an archaeologist and he brought along a garden cane that he had wrapped alternately in red and white insulation tape to make what he called a ranging rod. It was in 5 bands 20 cm wide, making up one metre in length. He just kept it in the back of his car. Cheap and cheerful, but it worked well on the pictures he took. I'm going to nick that idea for myself! Very Happy

Edited to add: It's a brilliant find, by the way. Well done!

I have thought about getting some of these rods before. I wonder if there are any extendable ones that can fit in a small ruck-sack? I don't drive, so have to rely on trusted friends to get to the further afar sites. Public transport and myself aren't compatible at all, I used to be a pain in the neck for leaving things on the bus Rolling Eyes , it became a terribly expensive bad habit pale

Mikki
    Andy Wade
    Andy Wade

Post  Andy Wade Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:58 pm

I've thought about making some folding ones too, but haven't quite worked out how to do it yet. One thing that did occur would be to cut a metre length off an old tape measure and paint red and white 20 cm bands on it. This could be rolled up into a small bag and used when needed (perhaps it could be coiled into a small round plastic tub). I'm such a tight wad... Hey, they used to call it 'make do and mend' ...or so my mum used to say anyway. Very Happy
    mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:47 pm

Andy Wade wrote:I've thought about making some folding ones too, but haven't quite worked out how to do it yet. One thing that did occur would be to cut a metre length off an old tape measure and paint red and white 20 cm bands on it. This could be rolled up into a small bag and used when needed (perhaps it could be coiled into a small round plastic tub). I'm such a tight wad... Hey, they used to call it 'make do and mend' ...or so my mum used to say anyway. Very Happy

Whey hey!!! Now that I have been inspired to use my brain Idea (great team-work there), I have come up with this idea - Folding Stick I'm hoping that they do a shorter one as that one is nearly as tall or short (which ever way you want to see it), as I am. I think one of these may work the same way though scratch hmmmm...

Mikki x
    Andy Wade
    Andy Wade

Post  Andy Wade Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Or you could just use a joiners folding ruler and paint it (don't know why I didn't think of this before to be honest)
    Can't add hyperlinks to the forum yet. Too much of a newbie. They're really cheap to buy and come already marked for measuring of course... Very Happy
    I put 'Folding Ruler' into Google search and found one straight away.
    mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Andy Wade wrote:Or you could just use a joiners folding ruler and paint it (don't know why I didn't think of this before to be honest)
    Can't add hyperlinks to the forum yet. Too much of a newbie. They're really cheap to buy and come already marked for measuring of course... Very Happy
    I put 'Folding Ruler' into Google search and found one straight away.

Great stuff!! Found this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-FOLDING-RULER-CARPENTERS-WOODWORKING-JOINERY-NEW-/350142169596

Andy Wade wrote: I'm such a tight wad... Hey, they used to call it 'make do and mend' ...or so my mum used to say anyway
    .... This ones only £2.28 including the postage. Go on, treat yourself! Twisted Evil

I like this one but it wouldn't be long enough- http://www.promorx.com/refoemupru.html

Mikki x

Andy Wade
    Andy Wade

Post  Andy Wade Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:20 am

That's the badger! Very Happy
    Will get one ordered for myself, then get the red, and white paint out and do one side with 20 cm bands of colour.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am