The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

Pictish?

deadagaindave
    deadagaindave

Pictish? Empty Pictish?

Post  deadagaindave Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:58 am

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18725-mathematics-of-ancient-carvings-reveals-lost-language.html

If you look at the stone from a certain angle at sunset, it reads 'Och! th' noo.'
    Paulus
    Paulus

Pictish? Empty Re: Pictish?

Post  Paulus Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:33 am

deadagaindave wrote:http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18725-mathematics-of-ancient-carvings-reveals-lost-language.html

If you look at the stone from a certain angle at sunset, it reads 'Och! th' noo.'

It's curious this one. I've met old folks in the Highlands who know what a lot of the symbols on the Pictish stones say - and when they describe the meanings they make a lotta sense. Not sure whether these people asked the locals though...
    deadagaindave
    deadagaindave

Post  deadagaindave Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Now be careful with these highlander tales. I remember a bloke from Drumnadrocht, on the banks of Loch Ness, relating long and fascinating stories, concerning numerous sightings of the monster by locals. He held me spellbound for a good while, before he pointed out that most of the sightings had happened on summer Saturday nights, 'when the pubs were a closing'.
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:46 am

Ey up Dave!

deadagaindave wrote:Now be careful with these highlander tales. I remember a bloke from Drumnadrocht, on the banks of Loch Ness, relating long and fascinating stories, concerning numerous sightings of the monster by locals. He held me spellbound for a good while, before he pointed out that most of the sightings had happened on summer Saturday nights, 'when the pubs were a closing'.

Ay mate - I'm fully aware o' that! The info on the pictish carvings was logical, very well-informed indeed and was completely lacking in bullshit. The info was narrated as simply part of traditional history with very considerable knowledge indeed. It made complete sense aswell.

Now tales of spectral figures and Nessie.....that's a different ball-game! Suspect

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm