The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

5 posters

Stones around Pendle district

Stones around Pendle district Empty Stones around Pendle district

Post  Guest Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:13 am

The moors around Pendle have many hidden stones that only the solitary walker, and the sheep farmer, know exist. In an article written in 1992 a local field archaeologist, John H Hope, made some interesting observations regarding Neolithic stones. Mr. Hope studied the area around his native Newchurch-in-Pendle (SD 823 394) and found a number of standing stones. In the field behind the Witches Galore shop are a couple of large standing stones, one taking the form of a stellae, (an upright stone bearing ancient inscriptions or figures). If this is a genuine example then it is a very rare find within this area.

Stones around Pendle district Empty Re: Stones around Pendle district

Post  Guest Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:43 am

I now know that the stones refered to here are:

The fallen boundary stone above 'Witches Galore' SD 823 394 is shortly due to be re-erected by myself and the gardener there. Supposably it has some 'markings' on it - will report soon.

and:

The former gate post now used as a animal 'rubbing stone' mentioned by Paul today.

The recorder of these stones Mr John H Hope has now passed away (dead).
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:35 am

lowergate wrote:...The fallen boundary stone above 'Witches Galore' SD 823 394 is shortly due to be re-erected by myself and the gardener there. Supposably it has some 'markings' on it - will report soon.

A-ha! I think I had a look at that when I was last in Pendle at the same Shamania Festival a coupla years back. Izzit one by the fence-side? It was somewhat overgrown & I couldn't really get a good look at it with all the nettles & overgrowth there. Looked a 'possible'. We're up for a few ventures round the region once the clocks move forward (or izzit back?) in a coupla months, giving us more daylight & time to check out a few places there.

Anyway - let us know what the carvings might be.

atb - Paul
    mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:34 am

Paulus wrote: We're up for a few ventures round the region once the clocks move forward (or izzit back?
    atb - Paul

For those of you who can't remember it is Spring - forwards and Fall - Back

Mikki x

Post  Guest Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:03 am

Yes, it is the one laid on its back over the fence by the stile.
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:06 pm

lowergate wrote:Yes, it is the one laid on its back over the fence by the stile.

Aye.....that's the one I remember. Let us know how it goes John. Any chance of posting any images on here if you manage to get the thing upright?

Post  Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:10 am

The stone marks the NE boundary of the ancient Goldshaw Vaccary and an old enclosure know as the 'castle' stands nearby. From the stone a holloway runs down to Spen Brook and on up to Spen Heights.

This narrow way is known as Sparble Lane and runs from the ancient boundary stone above Newchurch to Spen Brook at Dimpenley. For most of its length it takes the form of a holloway very much like a dyke. In fact Sparble Lane marks the eastern boundary of the Old Goldshaw Vaccary (cow rearing centre) of the 12th century then centred on Sabden Fold. The old boundary ditch ran up to the top of Spen Heights before turning westward to the Hoarstones. There were a number of vaccaries established in Pendle Forest then to manage both cows and deer, Old Laud, New Laud, Barrowford, Heyhouseds (modern Sabden) and Wheatley Lane to name but some. The boundary ditches sided by thick thorn hedges to keep out wolves and wild boar are remembered in such names as Fence, Spen, Ruston Thorns and Sparble. These vaccaies lasted until the 15th century when land enclosure within the Forest led to the establishment of Forest Booths. The last wolves had disappeared from Pendle Forest at this time.
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:07 am

lowergate wrote:...This narrow way is known as Sparble Lane and runs from the ancient boundary stone above Newchurch to Spen Brook at Dimpenley. For most of its length it takes the form of a holloway very much like a dyke. In fact Sparble Lane marks the eastern boundary of the Old Goldshaw Vaccary (cow rearing centre) of the 12th century then centred on Sabden Fold. The old boundary ditch ran up to the top of Spen Heights before turning westward to the Hoarstones. There were a number of vaccaries established in Pendle Forest then to manage both cows and deer, Old Laud, New Laud, Barrowford, Heyhouseds (modern Sabden) and Wheatley Lane to name but some. The boundary ditches sided by thick thorn hedges to keep out wolves and wild boar are remembered in such names as Fence, Spen, Ruston Thorns and Sparble. These vaccaies lasted until the 15th century when land enclosure within the Forest led to the establishment of Forest Booths. The last wolves had disappeared from Pendle Forest at this time.

Fascinating stuff mate. Smile Twouldst be good if the wolves were still about though: would make life a lot more interesting.

You wouldn't have a spare copy of the Annals of Barrowford lying about, doing nowt, would you?
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 am

NEWCHURCH STANDING STONE

The stone has now been put back in its original setting today 1st November 2010

Erectors: RAYMOND FREDERICK WARREN
    JOHN LEONARD DIXON TEMPEST De LIVESEY
    SEAN DOOLEY

Two shelled snails and a dark toad were found beneath the stone, a black cat observed the proceedings

Other objects/artifacts were also found

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Stones around Pendle district Empty Boundary Stone at Newchurch-in-Pendle

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Ah ah, I have a couple of photos of this little standing stone on somewhere else, along with John's. He and his mates did a good job there. I didn't notice any carvings on the stone though. study
    lowergate
    lowergate

Post  lowergate Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:34 pm

We never noticed any carvings/markings on the stone when we positioned it upright.
    Ray F Warren
    Ray F Warren

Stones around Pendle district Empty Re: Stones around Pendle district.

Post  Ray F Warren Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:25 am

I remember my surprise upon lifting that heavy stone to find a living toad under it. The cat was indeed watching our progress. Glad to have been involved in such a rewarding project. I was camped in the gardens behind the stone and when i woke the next day to the howling wind and rain, i took a look at the stone and it looked as if it had never fallen.http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=17457
    mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:29 am

Ray F Warren wrote:I remember my surprise upon lifting that heavy stone to find a living toad under it. The cat was indeed watching our progress. Glad to have been involved in such a rewarding project. I was camped in the gardens behind the stone and when i woke the next day to the howling wind and rain, i took a look at the stone and it looked as if it had never fallen.http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=17457

Hi There Ray & welcome to the TNA forum.
    Do you do plenty of camping still? you'd be welcome to come along on some of our camping ventures.

Mikki

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am