The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!


    More New Carvings Found!

    Share
    avatar
    Paulus

    Join date : 2009-08-20
    Location : Yorkshire

    More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Paulus on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:20 pm

    HI folks!
    Just a quickie to let those of you into rock art know: we were up on our heathen moors again today (above Riddlesden, West Yorks), playing with the sheep and tickling mushrooms, when we were unfortunately taken over by a-rummaging! We were lucky to find a new cluster of eight cup-and-ring stones. We were well chuffed! Very Happy Good thing is, we only covered a very small area and it seems that others were lurking beneath our footsies. So we're off back up there in a day or 3 to dig out what we can. I'll try & stick an example of at least one of 'em on TNA before bedtime!
    Am truly knacked, but truly happy at more findings! Very Happy
    Cheers - PB
    avatar
    PeteG

    Join date : 2009-02-01

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  PeteG on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:43 pm

    well done! I must come out with you for a fribbling session one summer...
    PeteG
    avatar
    Paulus

    Join date : 2009-08-20
    Location : Yorkshire

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Paulus on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:52 pm

    Hi Pete!

    PeteG wrote:well done! I must come out with you for a fribbling session one summer...

    Twouldst be damn good! But I've gotta get mi fat arse down Avebury-way with you fine Avebury Forum folk, before I die! I'm particularly into checking out those 'lost' & unknown sites you've mentioned before Pete.

    But you're always welcome up here mate. We've got a mass of stuff on the moors - and this fresh lot we've found today, along with some prehistoric walling nearby & what seems the remains of another (previously unrecognized) settlement, just keeps us going till the next lot!

    atb - Paul

    Rockrich

    Join date : 2009-02-02

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Rockrich on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:29 am

    Paulus wrote:HI folks!
    Just a quickie to let those of you into rock art know: we were up on our heathen moors again today (above Riddlesden, West Yorks), playing with the sheep and tickling mushrooms, when we were unfortunately taken over by a-rummaging! We were lucky to find a new cluster of eight cup-and-ring stones. We were well chuffed! Very Happy Good thing is, we only covered a very small area and it seems that others were lurking beneath our footsies. So we're off back up there in a day or 3 to dig out what we can. I'll try & stick an example of at least one of 'em on TNA before bedtime!
    Am truly knacked, but truly happy at more findings! Very Happy
    Cheers - PB

    bloody 'eck, 8, with the prospect of more to come - thats quite a haul Mr B. congrats to you and mikki.
    avatar
    mikki

    Join date : 2009-01-29
    Age : 25
    Location : West Yorkshire

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  mikki on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:01 pm

    Rockrich wrote:bloody 'eck, 8, with the prospect of more to come - thats quite a haul Mr B. congrats to you and mikki.
    Thanks Rockrich.. we could have done with another pair of eyes and hands. Any offers?

    Mikki x
    avatar
    mikki

    Join date : 2009-01-29
    Age : 25
    Location : West Yorkshire

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  mikki on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:08 pm

    PeteG wrote:well done! I must come out with you for a fribbling session one summer...
    PeteG

    There is also spring, Autumn and Winter. You are welcome here anytime Pete.

    Mikki x
    avatar
    PeteG

    Join date : 2009-02-01

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  PeteG on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:18 pm

    Autumn is my Devon/Dartmoor time and winter & spring are the best time to fribble and find missing stones in hedges and streams around Avebury.
    I will try to make it up there next summer though.
    Meanwhile, your overdue a visit down here...
    Pete

    Rockrich

    Join date : 2009-02-02

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Rockrich on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:07 am

    Mikki wrote:
    Rockrich wrote:bloody 'eck, 8, with the prospect of more to come - thats quite a haul Mr B. congrats to you and mikki.
    Thanks Rockrich.. we could have done with another pair of eyes and hands. Any offers?

    Mikki x

    Hello Mikki, if you post up here when you're off out, I'll see'f I can make it. My wanderings at the moment consist of me saying "bugger it", downing tools (keyboard and mouse) and trudging off out.
    avatar
    mikki

    Join date : 2009-01-29
    Age : 25
    Location : West Yorkshire

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  mikki on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:39 pm

    Rockrich wrote:
    Mikki wrote:
    Rockrich wrote:bloody 'eck, 8, with the prospect of more to come - thats quite a haul Mr B. congrats to you and mikki.
    Thanks Rockrich.. we could have done with another pair of eyes and hands. Any offers?

    Mikki x

    Hello Mikki, if you post up here when you're off out, I'll see'f I can make it. My wanderings at the moment consist of me saying "bugger it", downing tools (keyboard and mouse) and trudging off out.

    We are going on Saturday 17th October. If you would like to join us for a frobbling session we will meet you at the triangulation pillar on Rivock edge, say... about 12 noon?
    Hope to see you there. Everybody's Welcome

    Mikki + Paulus

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Guest on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:45 pm

    Did you get my message about the Todmorden find Paul?
    Never mind. I am planning a yomp Saturday... was going to be Sunday, but got an invite to the big game. So i will be heading for the trig point at Rivock at noon Saturday. I'll have the Tod, pic with me, and all being well, see you there.
    Dave.

    Rockrich

    Join date : 2009-02-02

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Rockrich on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:04 pm

    quote]

    We are going on Saturday 17th October. If you would like to join us for a frobbling session we will meet you at the triangulation pillar on Rivock edge, say... about 12 noon?
    Hope to see you there. Everybody's Welcome

    Mikki + Paulus[/quote]

    hi Mikki, Saturdays out for me, I already have something organised with a project I'm on. hope you and mr b have a goodun.
    avatar
    Paulus

    Join date : 2009-08-20
    Location : Yorkshire

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Paulus on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:48 am

    Hi Dave -

    erraticdave wrote:Did you get my message about the Todmorden find Paul?

    Only just checked mi messages - so got your message at last! Sounds promising!

    erraticdave wrote:...So i will be heading for the trig point at Rivock at noon Saturday. I'll have the Tod, pic with me, and all being well, see you there.

    OK. See y' there! If you get there before us, we'll be walking up the boundary wall & fields called 'Heater' shown in the middle of the OS-map, here:

    http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=SE072441

    It's a quicker & easier route as we're on foot.

    Cheers - Paul

    Rockrich

    Join date : 2009-02-02

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Rockrich on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:20 am

    Paul, probaly too late at this stage, but I'm on Stanbury Hill project today, if we do happen to finish early I'll pop across

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Guest on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:35 am

    I got to the trig on Rivock at noon, but no one else. Thought I'd mucked the time up, it happens. Sooooo, I had a root among the accredited stones up there, which aren't that impressive, then decided to set off for a wander meself. It was a glorious day, and I could hear gunshots to the west and a pack of hounds to the east. Deciding that a demise from being torn to death by hounds, would be more ecologically correct than a bellyfull of buckshot, I headed east.
    A fair amount of tussock and bog trudging, assures me that it is unlikely, that all the rock art on that end of the moor has been unearthed. I encountered the hounds which were too busy enjoying the day to harrass me; and had a pleasant converstion with the Mistress of hounds, who presented a becoming prospect, being suitibly attired to the task, but knew nothing of rock art. As I sauntered back I came upon what looks like an unacknowledged cup mark rock art SD076442, or thereabouts. Anyway I'm uploading some pics of it to my new flickr account, along with others. I claim no copyright so anyone can use em'. I'd be cheeky to claim copyright, as I'm no David Bailey.
    It's apparent that I need some sort of scraping device, other than a metal trowel, for further investigation. Don't want to cause any damage, so I'm gonna arm myself with a window scraper and a shaving brush, like a proper archeologist! If that don't impress the Mistress of hounds, I'll go west and get myself shot.
    Also apparent, that given the plethora of petra on that patch, (alliteration addict) a number of persons doing a sweep is required, or several incarnations of one. So I will be willing to enjoin with a throng to that end at any future time if available. Next weekend hopefully.
    Blessings
    Dave flower
    avatar
    mikki

    Join date : 2009-01-29
    Age : 25
    Location : West Yorkshire

    Useless Drunken Sods

    Post  mikki on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:50 pm

    Sooooooo Sorrrrryyy Dave. Paul sent you an E-mail at some ridiculous hour of the morning. We had some visitors turn up out of the blue and poured loads of beer down our throats. Obviously we couldn't stop them. We did our best to say no, but at six in the morning when they went home, they left us absolutely rat-arsed. Don't know who they were or if they will be back again. bounce bounce

    I am glad you enjoyed your amble. Is there a link to the pictures?
    Mikki x

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Guest on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:52 pm

    I should check my email more often. Won't though. To be honest, once I'd figured there was a gap in the woods at the trig point, from Paul's map link; and seen all the C+R's on the magic map, I was off up there anyway. Any idea why it's called Rivock 'oven'?
    Nice place to get baked, I'd geuss.
    The flickr link is
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/erraticdavestoneage/
    Not a lot on it yet, but more to come, if spared by the fates.
    Blessings
    Dave drunken
    avatar
    mikki

    Join date : 2009-01-29
    Age : 25
    Location : West Yorkshire

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  mikki on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:40 am

    Some nice Pictures. Spot-on. Your sitdownandhaveafag stone was where we satdownandatetunasandwichesandhadacuppacoffee. The view of Keighley from there was lovely(If you can call Keighley that). It had been a lovely day and the sun had started to set We watched it for a while while satdowneatingourtunasandwichesandacuppcoffe. We'd had a good day then set off home.

    Mikki x

    Sponsored content

    Re: More New Carvings Found!

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:34 am