The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!


    The Whitford Inscribed Stone, Flintshire (Sir y Fflint).

    Share
    avatar
    Sunbright57

    Join date : 2011-02-10
    Age : 59
    Location : Nelson - the one in Lancashire sorry to say!

    The Whitford Inscribed Stone, Flintshire (Sir y Fflint).

    Post  Sunbright57 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:54 am

    Os grid reference SJ.146 782. The little village of Whitford (Chwitffordd) is 2 miles north north-west of Holywell on country lanes just north of the Rhuddlan road (A5151) Lloc turning. The church of Sts Mary & Beuno can't really be missed beside the lane that runs through the centre of the place.

    In the church at the south-west corner stands a small, smooth eroded stone that bears a Latin inscription running downwards and now very faded. It reads HIC JACIT MULIER BONA NOBILI or when translated 'Here lies Bona wife of Nobilis'. Not much is known about the stone but it may date from the 6th-10th century AD and to be the gravestone of a Romano-British person, perhaps a local Celtic saint or someone that was a follower or relation of St Beuno. St Beuno (d.640) was a well travelled missionary in north Wales, with many churches and holy wells dedicated to him, as well as being the uncle of St Winifred of Holywell. Beuno almost certainly founded the first church on this site back in the early 7th century AD.

    The stone was discovered at nearby Caerwys in the 18th century from whence it resided in Downing Hall, but in 1936 it was deemed fit to be set up in the church of St Beuno at Whitford. A notice on the wall informs us about the stone and its faded inscription.

    References:-

    Davies, E., Whitford Church, Flintshire Historical Society Journal 13, 34-50.

      Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:05 am