The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

4 posters

Greetings from Nelson, Lancashire

Lee

Greetings from Nelson, Lancashire Empty Greetings from Nelson, Lancashire

Post  Lee Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi all,

Really pleased I found this site. I enjoy myths and legends and anything do do with pre christian sites. My favourite walks are between Burnley and Todmorden, in particular Hurstwood, Widdop Moor, Pendle Hill, Wycoller, Boulsworth Hill and Cliviger Gauge Rolling Eyes
    QDanT
    QDanT

Greetings from Nelson, Lancashire Empty Re: Greetings from Nelson, Lancashire

Post  QDanT Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi Lee, new myself but welcome to the site, here's one of my trips that way

http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/2011/06/hare-stones-millstone.html

cheers Danny
    Lee

Post  Lee Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi Danny,

Great photos. My dad mentioned a place called Robin Hood House on Widddop Moor and some Iron Age fort remains. Have you come across these on your travels?

Lee
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Greetings from Nelson, Lancashire Empty Greetings from Nelson, Lancashire

Post  Sunbright57 Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Hello Lee, I myself live in Nelson. There is a ruin of sorts called Robin Hood's House over Boulsworth way and an Iron-Age hillfort at Castercliff. There is also a Iron-Age camp or earth circle above Thursden Valley just up from the WW2 pillbox. Its nice to have someone else from Nelson on TNA. Welcome. Cheers. Ray. Very Happy
    ps I probably live close to you !
    QDanT
    QDanT

Greetings from Nelson, Lancashire Empty Robin Hood House

Post  QDanT Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi Lee it's worth looking for flints around Robin Hood House and I've marked the Dove Stones https://northernantiquarian.forumotion.net/t375-dove-stones-widdop-moor

Greetings from Nelson, Lancashire Mapwiddop

as well as the Hare Stones,where the mill wheel is, if you want the map larger hold down the Ctrl button and click the + button on your keyboard and the - to go smaller
    cheers Danny
    Lee

Post  Lee Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:24 am

Thanks Ray and Danny for the welcome and information. I'm going up Widdop Moor this afternoon so will locate Robin Hoods House. Ray out of curiosity do you know anything about the name origin of Kings Causeway in Brierfield. A friend of mine said where Nelson Golf Club is there used to be a monastery and the causeway led onto the Thursden Valley. This might just be speculation? Many Thanks Smile
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Greetings from Nelson, Lancashire Empty St Helen's Spring, Marsden Golf Course

Post  Sunbright57 Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:26 am

Hello again Lee, I have not heard anything about a monastery up that way, but I believe there used to be a St Helen's Spring on the golf course. This was probably located where St Helen's house is, or was. So, I suppose it could be a possibility given that early Christian saint's name. Hope you have a good day out on the moors over Boulsworth way, its a nice area. There are supposedly some carved stones over there and some tumulus. I have never checked these out, but John (Lowergate) is interested in them, especially those over Extwistle Moor. Ray. bounce There are a few causeways in this area: Higher Causeway, Barrowford, and The Long Causeway over Mereclough way. bounce They are probably ancient trackways that lead up over the moors, being used more in the medieval period by travellers / pilgrims ?
    Lee

Post  Lee Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:01 am

Thats very interesting Ray. Thanks. I know at the bottom of Kings Causeway is the Marsden Cross pub. Again i read there was once a spring/well where monks would rest. Right I'm going to go to Hurstwood and Extwistle Hall before the sun disapears Laughing
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:56 am

Hi Lee!

Good to have you on board. If you got up to Robin Hood's House, did you have a gander at the Robin Hood's Well there? I aint been, but remember someone saying it was not in a good state. It'd be good if we could clean it out and gerrit running again - if it'd be possible.

All the best - Paul Cool

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:13 am