The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

5 posters

any comments ?

QDanT
    QDanT

any comments ? Empty any comments ?

Post  QDanT Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:43 am

any comments ? IMG_8697

any comments ? IMG_8699

Last edited by QDanT on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

any comments ? Empty Any Comments

Post  Sunbright57 Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Danny, to me that looks similar to a prehistoric cist, but I could be wrong. Or is it a holy well, doesn't really look like it though. Interesting find even so. Thanks. Ray Question
    lowergate
    lowergate

any comments ? Empty Re: any comments ?

Post  lowergate Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:29 am

Hi Danny & Teddy,

Looks to me like the stones have been positioned to enclose a small issue/spring for use by livestock, otherwise one would just get a sprawling section of boggy ground. The spring I take it has long since dried up.

john
    deadagaindave
    deadagaindave

Post  deadagaindave Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:30 am

Paulus, Mikki, Bob the Great, and my good self, found a cist of exactly the same proportions on the Stanbury, end of Ilkley Moor, last year. Should be on here somewhere. There are other tomb remains and a fair old collection of superb cup and ring carvings near that one, including the Moonstone. It is the case that not all ancient burials occurred on hillsides. There are barrows and mounds on riverbanks, but some of them are definitely Saxon/Norse. Could be worth having an intense root around the area.
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:28 am

Looks intriguing... Doesn't look prehistoric though (to me at least) - but it'd be nice to be wrong! Looks like some sorta water-feature to me. Is that a small footpath by its side?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am