The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

4 posters

Rudston monolith and Devils Arrows

Eskdale

Rudston monolith and Devils Arrows Empty Rudston monolith and Devils Arrows

Post  Eskdale Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:01 am

I learned about the existence of the monolith at Rudston only recently, and decided to view it via Google Earth to see if there were any ancient earthworks in the vicinity - but I could not see anything significant.
    But I did notice something unusual. One of the statistics that Google Earth provides is the coordinates of an object.
    I found that the latitude of the monolith at Rudston matched the latitude of the northernmost stone of The Devil's Arrows.
    Not just to the degree, and not even to the same minute, but to the same second i.e. 54degrees, 5 minutes and 37 seconds.
    But I do not know how accurate Google Earth is with its coordinates.
    So if anybody has a GPS and cares to measure the latitude of each stone, I would be most grateful if you could post the results here. I would do it myself but I live 200 miles away.
    Many thanks
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Rudston monolith and Devils Arrows Empty Rudston Monolith and Devil's Arrows

Post  Sunbright57 Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:18 am

Anything's possible, its a long time since I've been up that way. Oh, and welcome to the website Eskdale. Question
    Danny, enjoyed The Teddy Tours photos to the Devil's Arrows, brilliant photos too. sunny

Last edited by Sunbright57 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    QDanT
    QDanT

Rudston monolith and Devils Arrows Empty Devils Arrows

Post  QDanT Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 am

Hi Eskdale, I've a few photo's on my Blog of a trip here 28-01-11 http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/2011/01/devils-arrows-bouroghbridge.html
    cheers Danny
    Eskdale

Rudston monolith and Devils Arrows Empty Rudston monolith and devils arrows

Post  Eskdale Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi Sunbright, thanks for the welcome and your posting about the Rudston stone.
    And thanks for the link to your blog Danny, some good photos.
    Your photos show that The Devils Arrow stones are more heavily eroded than the one at Rudston.
    Maybe they are older, what's the odd thousand years between friends.
    I wonder what is the chance of two similar monoliths being erected 40 miles apart on exactly the same latitude?
    If there is a possibility of one stone being deliberately erected on the same latitude as the other then I wonder what surveying techniques Neolithic Man used to calculate the location?
    Has anybody come across any books covering this subject?
    Thanks.
    QDanT
    QDanT

Rudston monolith and Devils Arrows Empty Spooky !

Post  QDanT Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi Eskdale spooky or what I've just checked where I pasted this to

Rudston monolith and Devils Arrows BrendaRudstoneaboveRibblevalley

It's at 54.041733* -2.418666*
    cheers Danny
    Paulus
    Paulus

Rudston monolith and Devils Arrows Empty Re: Rudston monolith and Devils Arrows

Post  Paulus Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi Eskdale!

Eskdale wrote:...Has anybody come across any books covering this subject?

I think you need to have a look at our recently-deceased John Michell's works. Get a copy of his New View Over Atlantis (which has very little to do with Atlantis) and his Dimensions of Paradise. They'll certainly get y' going along such lines! You could check out Nigel Pennick & Paul Devereux's Lines on the Landscape aswell. They keep appearing on eBay at pretty cheap prices and will certainly tickle y' neurons for starters!

Oh - and welcome to the Forum!

All the best - Paul Cool
    Eskdale

Post  Eskdale Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:27 am

Coming down the A1 the other day I took the opportunity of stopping off to inspect the Devils Arrows at Boroughbridge.
    I was amazed to find that the largest stone is branded with a benchmark of the Ordnance Survey
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22081583@N06/6299366484/in/photostream

are none of our ancient monuments spared by these trigonometric vandals?
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:16 am

No Eskdale nothing's sacred these days, but I wonder how long the bench mark has been there ? You would think the OS would be more careful where they put there modern day carvings, wouldn't you ? Quite shocking, really.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm