The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

4 posters

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border.

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Empty THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border.

Post  Sunbright57 Sun May 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Os grid reference SD.92104 43179. From Kelbrook village head south past Old Stone Trough then continue as far as the lane goes to Accornlee Hall. Then head eastwards for about 1 mile on footpaths to two buildings called Oxenards and Laycocks. From here continue east along footpaths for another 1 mile or so until you reach Copy House (now called Hawes Farm). Go to the back of the farm and 100 yds east close to Kelbrook Wood where you will see in the wall a cross-incised boundary stone. At the side there is a square-shaped holy well. (You may need to ask permission at the farm).

The so-called Dissenters' Well is a rectangular feature in the ground next to the wall. It is said locally to date from the 17th-18th century but is most probably an ancient moorland spring. The well was in use from the 17th century by Quakers, Baptists, Methodists and possibly Roman Catholics, at a time when there was much animosity towards non-Conformists. Legislation was passed stopping all illegal gatherings to be held within a 5 mile radius of any church - thus leading to religious gatherings in bleak, remote places on the moorland above towns and villages. In 1812 an Act of Parliament against non-Conformists was repealed and dissenters were given equality regarding where they could worship. The water in the well no doubt had some medicinal qualities or, was a source of spiritual up-lift at the time.

By the well there is 3 foot high pointed boundary stone or waymarker that has a thin incised cross carved onto it. The stone is partly embedded in the wall. It probably marks the old boundary between Lancashire and Yorkshire. I don't know who Tom was though he may have been the person who set up the stone. The age of the stone is not known.

Sources:-

Oldland, Fay., - The Story Of Foulridge, Pendle Heritage Centre Ltd, 1990.

Last edited by Sunbright57 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:40 am; edited 6 times in total
    Paulus
    Paulus

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Empty Re: THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border.

Post  Paulus Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Ray! Smile

I've just added the Dissenters Well site to TNA, here:

http://megalithix.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/dissenters-well/

Lemme know if there's owwt that needs altering/editing in anyway.

atb - Paul
    QDanT
    QDanT

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Empty Crow flies

Post  QDanT Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:09 pm

1.4 miles from home, but never heared of it, though used to swim in the round reservoir in the 70's before they put a lid on it
    THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Disenterswell
    Do you want a couple of photo's taking ? cheers Danny
    Paulus
    Paulus

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Empty Re: THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border.

Post  Paulus Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:21 pm

QDanT wrote:...Do you want a couple of photo's taking ? cheers Danny

That would be hugely appreciated Danny! Very Happy
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Empty Dissenters' Well

Post  Sunbright57 Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Yes please Danny, thanks. Twisted Evil
    QDanT
    QDanT

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Empty Not much to see !

Post  QDanT Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:12 am

Couldn't find the pointed boundry stone in the wall, there's a gate post but not pointed or carved

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 02-1

but with the sky going blue black and I could see the rain squalls over towards Bowland I headed back just in time to miss the next 3 hours of heavy rain. It's a pleasant walk so I'll go back and check out the stones in the ditch another time
    cheers Danny

Last edited by QDanT on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed photo's to save bandwidth)
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Empty Dissenters' Well

Post  Sunbright57 Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:37 am

I think you're in the wrong place Danny, its probably the other copy house at Os grid reference SD.921 431 at the south-eastern edge of Kelbrook Moor. If you're going to have another look the well it is a small, square-shaped feature next to a wall, just south of Copy House, with a small pointed boundary stone at the side embedded into the wall. My Os grid reference was initially wrong as there are, in fact, two copy houses in that area. You may need to ask at the farm. Thanks for going up there and looking though. Here's a b/w photo of the well and cross incised boundary stone. Ray. Neutral
    THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. P6081610

Last edited by Sunbright57 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Cheers Ray and just to add to the confusion the second Copy House is now called Harwes Farm but near by on the path there's a spring marked in blue on the map though it shows Tom's Cross over towards Kelbrook wood. Anyway that's tommorows expedition sorted out I might start and end at the Black Lane Ends Pub Doesn't Black in association with a highway (lane, track, hill etc.) have an ancient meaning ? I should post a report Wed. evening
    cheers Danny

Last edited by QDanT on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : facts and spl.)
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Empty Sorry Danny

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:46 am

Yes go to Kelbrook Wood the well will be next to Tom's Cross. I will get things properly sorted eventually. Cheers. Ray. Sad
    QDanT
    QDanT

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Empty Dissenters' well at last !

Post  QDanT Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:57 am

Sunbright57 wrote:Os grid reference SD.917447. From Kelbrook village head east for 2 miles towards Kelbrook Moor via Heads Lane. Just after the reservoir follow a footpath in a north-easterly direction for about half a mile up the side of the moor. The Pendle Way passes close by here. Beside a farm wall, just below Copy House, is the Dissenters' well with a boundary stone standing at the side.

Sources:-

Oldland, Fay., - The Story Of Foulridge, Pendle Heritage Centre Ltd, 1990.

Hi Ray, OK I know I’m the new boy (old Git really) but have you been or just read and copied the source reference ? because I followed Heads Lane passed the reservoir then went north-easterly as per the fairly precise instructions above, then you come back with :-

Sunbright57 wrote:I think you're in the wrong place Danny, its probably the other copy house at Os grid reference SD.921 431 . My Os grid reference was initially wrong as there are, in fact, two copy houses in that area, the well it is a small, square-shaped feature next to a wall, just south of Copy House Thanks for going up there and looking though. Ray. Neutral

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. X2Copysmap

the above Grid reference is near to a spring on the path/field wall south-east of what is now Harwes Farm which I thought would be it, but I’m glad it wasn’t.
    Parked at the Black Lane Ends pub in heavy rain,
    THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 01
    went in to ask if I have a pint would it be OK to leave the van in the car park while I tracked an old Well down, Yes No Problem ordered a pint of Copper Dragon “Pippin” Bitter and showed the landlord a copy of the Well info. I’d printed and laminated A4 on the back of the map, neither he nor a customer at the bar had heard of it, finished pint and as rain slacked off set off over the fields at the back of the pub

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 02

as I topped the rise Pendle Hill came into view

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 03

and to the left Sunbright57 land

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 04

to the right a view down over Kelbrook wood to the other Copy house of yesterdays expedition

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 05

Harwes Farm comes into view with Pendle behind

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 06

and lot’s of rock showing in the field at Picked Edge

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 08

and looking back to Lund’s Tower, Wainmans Pinnacle and the Hitching Stone on the horizon

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 07

the last gate before the farm had another carved gate post I seem to have started a synchronicity off with these now

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 09Gatepost

But then disaster right where the spring is marked and what I thought the well

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 10

there’s plastic progress for you, craftsmanship a work of loving art in the Landscape !

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 11

I didn’t see any sign of a boundary stone built into the wall though, so I walked back, then along towards the Farm checking the wall, nothing, a last look at the map

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Map

and wait on ! the dot dot dot boundary stone line is in the next field down towards the wood walk along checking the far wall, spot it just to the right of the Oak

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 12

Knock on the farm door and explain what I’m up to and show back of map with well info. “No there’s no old wells round here” but very friendly so I explain I think I’ve seen the cross on the boundary stone and would it be OK to walk around the side of the meadow to go and have a look. Yes no problem but there’s no well down there !

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 13

It looks a convincing illusion to me and the Bear, for scale the walking pole is 55-1/2” and the proper (Ray!) Grid ref. is SD 92104 43179

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 14

I wouldn't like to guess how long the wall to the right will remain standing ?

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 15

stopped on the way back for a last look at the well position

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 16

I’d carried some of last nights Chilli and Rice in a roasting bag in a billy along with a primus, bottle of wine and a glass but am glad I didn’t set up the Bistro as I just made it back to the pub before the next rain shower,

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 17

I didn’t eat here though

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 19

but this time tried the Timothy Taylor Landlord Bitter, they were both superb and on form with the Timmy Taylor just winning over the Copper Dragon

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. 18

I can feel a session coming on, maybe camp if there’s ever going to be a summer !
    just thought I’d share cheers all Danny

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Empty Dissenters' Well & Tom's Cross

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:10 am

Hooray, you found it Danny, thanks so much and thanks for the proper Os grid reference. Were the well and stone located behind Copy House (Hawes).
    Those stones lying in that field look interesting. Wonder what they are, or were. Cheers. Ray.

Ps Danny, I owe you a pint. Don't know how that can be sorted though. tongue
    QDanT
    QDanT

Post  QDanT Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:52 pm

the Well is located exactly 101 yards East of the farm, I'm sure there is a way marked footpath from the farm yard along the wall past the well, which carries on down to the Pendle way at Scale Bank or back up to Piked Edge, but for a first visit it seemed polite to ask. Paul on the Megalithics blog is still advising to start from Kelbrook so I'm going to put another map here for him
    THE DISSENTERS' WELL & TOM'S CROSS, Kelbrook Moor, Lancs-Yorks Border. Diswellmap
    the stones in the field look a little bed rocky but then I just post stuff that look interesting ? we're that close no doubt will meet soon cheers Danny
    harwesfarm

Post  harwesfarm Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:49 am

Good morning all

I just stumbled across this forum when sorting a Google listing out for my business, and found it quite interesting given I own Harwes Farm.

The dissenters well is certainly a place of interest for us here as residents, though the well itself resides on our neighbours land, as it shows an old place of worship, something that we are certainly very interested in given m wife and I are worship leaders and have had a few groups up here of such (in fact we often have friends up and it's always a talking point at somepoint). It's amazing how much of a sense of peace you do get up here.

We lead a youth camp at the end of summer and as part of this we took the young people for one of the worship sessions we were running to the well and told them of it's history and it was really quite good.

I'll certainly place a link to this thread on our family blog as it gives people that bit more information, as well as some lovely photos taken by the forum members.

Have a wonderful Christmas all
    Andy T Smile
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

Post  Sunbright57 Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks for that Andy T. Yes, I know its one of the pleasures of living on a farm on the moors - you're away from the bustle, noise and distractions of the towns and cities. I envy you somewhat (hope that's ok) living in a peaceful place and having a well like that close by. It must be nice up there in the summertime. So, welcome to TNA. Some photos of the moors or anything else of interest would be greatly appreciated - we like anything like that ! Merry Christmas to you and your family. Ray.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am