The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

REAPS CROSS on Heptonstall Moor

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

REAPS CROSS on Heptonstall Moor Empty REAPS CROSS on Heptonstall Moor

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:52 am

Os grid reference SD.944303. Reaps Cross stands high up on the windswept Heptonstall Moors at Kebcote, south of the Long Causeway, above Hebdon Bridge. It is best to go north from Heptonstall through Slack and then due west through Colden and High Gate following a country track as far as it goes and coming out onto Heptonstall Moor just north of a building called "Egypt". Where the footpaths go in different directions to the south-west and north carry straight on up the hillside untill you see the cross-shaft ahead. Lower Gorple reservoir will be seen to the north.

This tall thin cross was erected in the 1400s as a way-marker or marker stone for pilgrims and others traversing the high Pennine moors. It is 15 feet high and stands in a rectangular, socketed base stone. The long thin rectangular shaft has chamfered edges to it which tapers away towards the top where there is a notch at either side that once formed a cross-head.

But the cross has suffered from damage and when it was broken in two it only stood some 5 feet high, but in 2002 it was restored and re-erected by a team of local people including Mr Graham Walker and Mr Patrick Savage. And what an excellent job they have done with a new section put in place and a steel rod inserted to strengthen the monument. They adhered to the requirements of English Heritage due to the fact that the cross is an ancient monument and grade 2 listed. A plaque on the cross records that it was re-erected in 2002.

The large base-stone is a rough dressed rectangular lump of stone. Apparently, the cross-head with some carving on it was embedded in the ground at the base, but this has now been taken away for safety. The head had what were thought to be carved cross arms. I don't know where this now resides. Ancient Monument no 23382.
    Paulus
    Paulus

REAPS CROSS on Heptonstall Moor Empty Re: REAPS CROSS on Heptonstall Moor

Post  Paulus Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Ray!

I've sat up at this old spot many-a-time in the past, in all weathers, especially when I lived at Hebden and Heptonstall. A superb place! You'll probably know about the 'Standing Stone Hill' above here. When I first moved to the area and was gonna hike up for a frobble round, I asked a supposed expert John Billingsley if and where the standing stone was that gave the hill its name. He told me "there wasn't one." Which was weird, cos we found one - actually we found more than one up there. And a gorgeous setting indeed... Do you know the place?

I keep meaning to get up there for a wander with Dave & the crew and get some good pikkies & stick 'em on the website.

All the best - Paul
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

REAPS CROSS on Heptonstall Moor Empty Reaps Cross on Heptonstall Moor

Post  Sunbright57 Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Yes Paul, I did know about Standing Stone hill and its stone, or two, as you say. There is a site page for this on The Meg Portal if your'e interested. http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=10412
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:32 pm

Sunbright57 wrote:Yes Paul, I did know about Standing Stone hill and its stone, or two, as you say. There is a site page for this on The Meg Portal if your'e interested. http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=10412

Cheers for that Ray! The more info on these places, the better! Cool

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 am