The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

THE CATHOLES STONE near Todmorden, West Yorkshire

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

THE CATHOLES STONE near Todmorden, West Yorkshire Empty THE CATHOLES STONE near Todmorden, West Yorkshire

Post  Sunbright57 Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:36 am

Os grid reference about SD.920262. The Catholes Stone can be reached from the Burnley to Todmorden road the A646 at Lydgate. Walk north on a footpath over the railway tunnel and into Kitson Wood. From here walk in a north-westerly direction through Hudson Clough beside Hudson Moor. Above on the right are the Orchan rocks, but just below in the clough at Catholes an outcrop of some very large millstone grit boulders and smaller stones; the inscribed Cathole Stone can be found here. If coming from the north from Shore via Blue Bell Lane you need to reach Hartley Royd farm. From here you need to walk half a mile south down Hudson clough past Chunters Rocks to reach Catholes.

Amongst the large boulders and standing between two small up-right stones there is a large, long stone with a flat side to it. On this is carved a thin Latin cross surrounded by an inscription in what has been described as old school Latin - this must be different in some way to Roman Latin, though there does not appear to be any significant difference. The inscription is IESV DEVS DOMINVS MONTIVM which translated means 'Jesus, God, Lord of the Mountains'. The stone rests on recumbant stones and sits between two thin standing stones, one smaller in height than the other - in other words these stone have been placed to look like a church altar or similar.

The stone is probably pre-16th century due to the type of Latin used; it was probably a way-marker or boundary stone, but with a religious connection. Some historians think it was a boundary stone marking the land belonging to Whalley Abbey. So possibly we have a pilgrimage route from the abbey to Yorkshire. Certainly this secluded ravine is a heavenly spot, a place of peaceful serenity and tranquility. I have no doubt that the stone was visited by pilgrims as far back as the 14th-15th centuries who would pause here and offer prayers. There is, apparently, a baptismal pool in the stream that flows down the clough, though I don't know whether it still exists today.

Whirlow Hill a few miles to the east was where some beaker artifacts were excavated and a bit further north still we have the famous Bridestones. So enjoy your walk but mind how you go when clambering over the rocky outcrops.

owthomas92

THE CATHOLES STONE near Todmorden, West Yorkshire Empty Where?

Post  owthomas92 Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:19 am

Hi, i was looking into Catholes Stone and came across your post, i went to try and find it the other day but to no avail. Please could you give me directions of how to get to the stone from orchan rocks please. Much appreciated, Oliver
    Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

THE CATHOLES STONE near Todmorden, West Yorkshire Empty Re: THE CATHOLES STONE near Todmorden, West Yorkshire

Post  Sunbright57 Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:25 am

Hi there Oliver and welcome to TNA. You may have missed them when you were having a gander up there. The info that I have put on above is the best I can do for you. You need to follow Hudson Clough all the way along, the boulders lie below Orchon rocks in the ravine a little south of Chunters Rocks. I have not been myself, but would very much like to do so but having no transport is a problem. Best wishes, Ray.Smile
    owthomas92

THE CATHOLES STONE near Todmorden, West Yorkshire Empty Re: THE CATHOLES STONE near Todmorden, West Yorkshire

Post  owthomas92 Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:33 am

Hi, thanks for the reply, i will be going up again tomorrow to have another look, will post a picture on here when i find it.

Oliver

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm