The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

Great Close Hill Fort?

Paulus
    Paulus

Great Close Hill Fort? Empty Great Close Hill Fort?

Post  Paulus Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:05 pm

The impressive rise known as Great Close Hill (a post-Enclosure Act title), here:

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=SD902668

Izzit a hillfort? We were up here the other day and, approaching the top, a mass of what seemed like a walled structure was evident on the eastern edges. This turned out to run around the southern and western sides aswell. I've had a look round & can't find any reference to any such hillfort here. Does anyone know of any archaeological accounts of the place? Or of the cairn on top of it?
    Paulus
    Paulus

Great Close Hill Fort? Empty Re: Great Close Hill Fort?

Post  Paulus Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:09 pm

And to anyone who might be into it: we're meeting up for a wander up and around this place this coming Thursday, 14 October, gathering at the crossing-point of Street Gate, just below the Seaty Hill tumulus, north of Malham, here:

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=SD904657

We'll be here around midday.

Post  Guest Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:26 pm

LOWERGATE will join your 'Banned of Rep-Free-Batted' on the stated date & time RSVP

Take care M&P

Xjohn

Post  Guest Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Post Note:

I will furvish all with full details as to what the Great Close Enclosure be - tales to be recounted, ale & whiskey to feed the flow, with fun for one and all ....

TEMPEST LIVESEY
    mikki
    mikki

Post  mikki Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi John & all those that turn up

Important Note Please take a torch or some form of light with you.

You wouldn't want to get stuck on the moors - with the bulls - in the dark.

Mikki x

Post  Guest Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:04 am

Another advantage of having a torch, is it can diminish your chances of going sliding off at an angle, on what the bulls leave on the floor. Like I did. affraid OK I'm not a stranger to the stuff, or I wouldn't be on this forum for starters. clown But my life experience has shown that we meet up with a sufficient amount for our needs, even when we are careful. We can help nature by avoiding it, leaving it for the benefit of the flowers. flower flower
    Despite the bulls and their offerings, it's a fabulous spot to visit, with much of antiquarian interest.

Post  Guest Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:28 pm

' on what the bulls leave on the floor'

COWS DAVID, COWS!

You urbanites - I often despair

.... thank god for HOPE, for SHE is always rising

(in urban males another is always rising - but in every case disappoints)

Post  Guest Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi Mikki

If Paul ever wanders off for 'a loaf of bread' I'll wander in and put my feet under the table

You and Paul take good care Kiddo

Love you both

jXX

Post  Guest Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:22 pm

PS: We are bringing David back to LANCASHIRE - he has been too long with mankind and he has borne bad weather - now we shall return him to HUMANKIND - where the winds are always fair

THE PLEASANT VIEW NURSING HOME (with botty wipes) awaits their new PAYGOON DRUIDIST less the (most sought after) camel coat ....

LOL

j

Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:53 pm

lowergate wrote:

LOWERGATE will join your 'Banned of Rep-Free-Batted' on the stated date & time RSVP

Take care M&P

Xjohn

Spiffing John! Twill be good to see you there. If you get there early/late, your nose should sniff us out. First stop's gonna be the Seaty Hill tumulus field, and then probably the Roman camp a coupla hundred yards east along the track. There's wot looks like some Iron Age walling running roughly E-W thru the camp, but it's dead straight & I wannanother look at it. Some walling immediately to the north needs checking aswell. From there, we'll probably go back to the meeting spot for some grub, then check some of the settlements close west. Anyway, hope to see you there. You & Dave can give us your respective poetry lessons! Razz

See y' Thursday! Smile

Post  Guest Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:14 am

Hi Paul,

Before you visit Great Close have a glance of your copy of:

'GREEN ROADS IN THE MID-PENNINES' Arthur Raistrick, MOORLAND 1978 - he explains the context of the large circular enclosure at Great Close.

also get a copy of the recent Archaeological Survey of the Malham area from the Nationl Park Visitor Centre - by car park in Malham Village

PS: It would be a good idea for you to confiscate any 'digging' tools the Exotic Druid may have about his person as legal restrictions apply to all sites in the National Park

best regards

john
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:43 am

Hi John -

lowergate wrote:Before you visit Great Close have a glance of your copy of:

'GREEN ROADS IN THE MID-PENNINES' Arthur Raistrick, MOORLAND 1978 - he explains the context of the large circular enclosure at Great Close.

Huge thanks! I've gorrit off the shelf already & will peruse it forthwith! Very Happy

lowergate wrote:also get a copy of the recent Archaeological Survey of the Malham area from the Nationl Park Visitor Centre - by car park in Malham Village

OK. Will do. If we're slightly late arriving, it's cos we've popped in there!

Many thanks - Paul

Post  Guest Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:09 am

Please thank the EXOTIC DRUID for the cider making site - recomended

Can't wait to start next seasons pressing

Drinking pure natural cider puts one in a jovial and friendly mood - an aid to fine company

The true cider drinker sleeps like a top - no morning jitters or hangovers

Pure cider is the Aqua Vita (water of life) - puts years on your life and promotes hair growth - as every druid knows (but one)

joy of joys

j

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm