The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

CUNLIFFE, LANCASHIRE

CUNLIFFE, LANCASHIRE Empty CUNLIFFE, LANCASHIRE

Post  Guest Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Look out for hares that thrive here in this sacred landscape. The hill range of Cunliffe, though desecrated for over 150 yeas with quarrying and waste disposal, is still an Earth Energy node of great importance to those of us who follow Earth pathways inspiring our connection to the land. If you sit still on the quarry mounds here wood pigeons and magpies will come and confer with you.

From this high vantage point of Cunliffe we gain a great panoramic view over East Lancashire. Pendle dominates the north east, and then the eye takes in Boulsworth, Hameldon, Oswaldtwistle Moor and the East Lancashire Pennine Moors with Darwen Tower on the skyline. Below are the forlorn remains of the former industrial town of Blackburn unsure of its role in this New Age when the Sacred is Unveiled. To die to one story is to be reborn in a larger one. Blackburn’s development must involve giving up a smaller story in order to wake up to a larger story.

Cunliffe is an ancient Celtic hill name referring to a cleft in a rock from which water issued forth that was seen by the ancients to be a sacred opening into the realm of the Earth Mother. The name has been identified with the British name ‘cunte’. ‘Cunnus Diaboli’ was a name used by the early British xtian Church for caves and groves sacred to the goddess. In early mediaeval times women would still come to such places to be healed of a sickness, crawling into a confined space and immersing their bodies in the life giving waters.

With stone quarrying, coal mining and subsequent land-fill over many years the site of the ‘cleft’ is lost to the mists of time, yet many springs still issue forth from the Cunliffe hillside. A study of former field and stream names may reveal the location of the Cleft in the Rock of Ages – the Fountain of Life that Mosses sought in vain, only to meet with the wisdom of the Green One.

Although unnamed in the Qur’an, the name The Green One (al-khidhr) has come down through oral tradition and is seen here (Surah 18, The Cave, A.60-82) as a mysterious figure who met with Mosses near the Fountain of Life.

In Islamic mysticism (Sufism) Khidhr is seen as an Immortal (Angel) and appears at crucial times in Sufi writings to those in need of guidance.

His insights are drawn from the living sources of life. He understands clearly the nature of paradox in human relations and nature. The gifts he offers to those who seek him out are Mercy on High, and Knowledge on High. The Green One does not reproach the traveler on the Way. Each one follows their own path to the best of their judgment, and inevitably makes many false steps. So in the episode in the story of Mosses, Mosses adopts the attitude of learner to the teacher.

Khidhr takes Mosses through three paradoxes to be found in life: Apparent loss may be real gain; apparent cruelty may be real mercy; returning good for evil may really be justice and not generosity.

'THUNDER, PERFECT MIND'

I am the first and the last.
    I am the honoured one and the scorned one.
    I am the whore and the holy one.
    I am the wife and the virgin.
    I am the mother and the daughter.
    I am the barren one and many are her sons.
    I am she whose wedding is great and have not taken a husband.
    I am knowledge and ignorance.
    I am shameless; I am ashamed.
    I am strength and I am fear.
    I am foolish and I am wise.
    I am godless and I am one whose God is great.
    I am the silence that is incomprehensible.
    I am the utterance of my name.
    (Nag Hammad Library)

Sunbright57
    Sunbright57

CUNLIFFE, LANCASHIRE Empty Cunliffe

Post  Sunbright57 Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:34 am

The Cunliffe family of Hollins, near Accrington, and Wycoller, near Colne, are derived from this name. Probably Cunn Leffe? Their coats of arms are carved above the ingle-nook fireplace in Wycolley Hall. Something to do with coneys - rabbits or hares perhaps. study

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am