The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Northern Antiquarian Forum

Archaeology, folklore & myth of Britain's pre-christian sites & heritage: stone circles, holy wells, maypoles, tombs, archaic cosmologies and human consciousness. Everyone welcome - even Southerners!

2 posters

Boston Spa

cropredy
    cropredy

Boston Spa Empty Boston Spa

Post  cropredy Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:59 am

I have used the search function to see if any information exists about a site at Boston spa near the wharfe, I can't find any?
    Three stones in particuler found face down with ditchs etc.
    Kevin
    Paulus
    Paulus

Boston Spa Empty Re: Boston Spa

Post  Paulus Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Kev -

cropredy wrote:I have used the search function to see if any information exists about a site at Boston spa near the wharfe, I can't find any?
    Three stones in particuler found face down with ditchs etc.
    Kevin

What type of site are you seeking info on? There's the legendary holy well nearby, but are you after megalithic remains there? Lemme know wot type of site & I'll let you know what we've got there. A grid-ref might be helpful, but if you're wanting to keep it quiet (some folk do), PM me.

Cheers - Paul
    cropredy
    cropredy

Boston Spa Empty deep pits

Post  cropredy Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Paulus,
    I was reading a book on druids today and some well like deep pits caught My attention, as I am interested in location , location, location of precise finite points.
    I went googling for them and the first thing that popped up was Boston spa, now that place as well as mother shipston cave has a sort of grip on Me.
    http://www.bsparch.org.uk/paul_bowers_article.pdf
    It's where this is that I am interested in, and will go a wandering about it.
    SOMETHING has always called Me there.
    Kevin
    cropredy
    cropredy

Boston Spa Empty leys lane

Post  cropredy Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:12 pm

This is funny, it's at LEYS lane, and BinLEY angling club have the fishing rights,bizzare?
    http://www.bingleyanglingclub.co.uk/club-waters/river-wharf-boston-spa
    That google overhead is interesting, bends in rivers are not by chance.
    Kevin
    Paulus
    Paulus

Post  Paulus Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 am

HI Kev -

cropredy wrote:...I went googling for them and the first thing that popped up was Boston spa, now that place as well as mother shipston cave has a sort of grip on Me.
    http://www.bsparch.org.uk/paul_bowers_article.pdf
    It's where this is that I am interested in, and will go a wandering about it.

The stones in the article seem intriguing, though many of the marks thereon are very probably scratch marks where tools of sort have been scraped on the rock: whetstones of sorts. The photos I've seen certainly gimme that impression, though some parts may have been deliberately carved. It'd be good to see themin the flesh to get a better idea. There's not a lotta stuff round that area, with the St. Helen's material being p'raps the most notable ritual site, but much of that's sadly gone. Twas to be found by the river aswell.

atb - Paul

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:39 am